Murray Wildcat!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother had the Sears version of this Chopper bike. It was hard for him to keep up wth us. Great work on the frame, fender, and tank. Love the progress pics and looking forward to see her finished

Between my wife and here girlsfriends........I have had not much time for bikes but today I found some time.

The original forks for this bike were ruff to say the least
IMG_2543.jpg

not up to the standard for this bike and the sandblaster did not make them much better :|

No problem I have a set of chopper forks that would work GREAT! for this bike...problem is it's for an 11/8" tube :| :| :?

No problem again....... I have a spare steer tube for just this problem, and a welder :mrgreen: .

But get this...keep in mind this frame is from the mid to late 70s. When I pulled the original head set off the tube! the tube was 11/8!!!! :shock: :shock: so with a little work :D

IMG_2776.jpg

and with some quality time with my son :mrgreen:
IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

we now have a real set of chopper forks for this ride!
IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

still having some problem with the tank :cry:
the paint keeps on lifting in one area?????

this weekend we were able to paint the rims with a little green and place the tires on...

It's coming along quite well...I keep telling the boy to leave some for class time :mrgreen:

IMG_2848.jpg

Yes that is a 24"Schwinn Speedster in the background...sorry I have not posted it up as of yet! it is in great shape. I spent an hour cleaning it up the other day.....it will be up for sale soon

Still no sun around here yet for a good outside shot :cry: .... and I'm still having problems with the paint on the tank (bottle nose dolphin) lolol the paint keeps on wrinkling in two small spots.. :x :x and I have sanded it down each time plus used laquer thinner.

FW

I just love this bike! Be carefull though-I think this bike will beat up your son's Army bike! :lol:
L8 EM

with all the house renos going on, it has been hard to work on the bikes. :(

but my son and I were able to solve the problem with the paint on the tank. :)

We ended up stripping the tank, and doing a few coats of high build ...sand and then paint again :mrgreen:

we also picked out a set of handle bars from the collection ....
we are still six and six on them ...love to hear some feed back

IMG_2932.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

the next question is banana seat or cruiser?

FW

WOW ...those bars are awsome !!! / I vote for a banana seat and maybe a high rise sissy bar :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OOOOOOOOOOhhh. I like those bars!!!!
I would have said banana seat til I saw pic #2....CRUISER!!! with saddle bags!!!!
Get the seat for that Schwinn yet???!!!

Markm asked
Get the seat for that Schwinn yet???!!!
PMed ya

Kev has not been down just yet.

I do plan on making another set of saddle bags but they will be for the slick daddy! :mrgreen: I have also come up with a better way to mount them this time. :D

FW

Very clean lookin' bike...
I would vote for a cruiser seat. It better matches the forks and bars you picked out.
I think it is great to get your kids into working on bikes at a young age. :wink:

I don't know about the seat, but I agree that those bars are perfect. they
blend in perfectly with the 70's chopper lines that the bike has.

WOW! :shock: That is one cool bike. I've always likes the look of the Wildcat but this is the cat's meow. I'm not a big fan of bananna seats but I think that a nice one would go with the clasic look of this bike, oh and a spring loaded sissy bar...Kelly

Back