Looking For More Info On Korlis Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I know that Korlis bikes were made in Poland by ZZR for export to North America from the sixties to seventies, and they seem to have a good reputation, but that is the extent of my knowledge.

Does anyone know if the frames would have been made of chromoly? Thinking of buying the bike pictured for a friend.
korlis01.jpg

Hi!
I don't have technical specification for the tubing used, but i strongly believe they made them out of raw steel. Something close to what we would call hi-ten nowadays.
Let me know if you would be chasing down some original parts for it. I live in Poland and we've got some here :)

Ah, I have not seen one of those for a long time, but out here in rural eastern Poland those bikes still do service with the older people who own them. with almost every house in every village having a bike or two stashed away, or at least the wheels fitted to a home-made trailer.

The bike looks like it is very good condition, but I would want to check the BB and the wheel bearings just to be sure.

Hi!
I don't have technical specification for the tubing used, but i strongly believe they made them out of raw steel. Something close to what we would call hi-ten nowadays.
Let me know if you would be chasing down some original parts for it. I live in Poland and we've got some here :)

I really appreciate the offer, but I'm just looking for a cruiser bike for my friend. He likes cruiser geo, but doesn't care about period correct parts and stuff like that.

Ah, I have not seen one of those for a long time, but out here in rural eastern Poland those bikes still do service with the older people who own them. with almost every house in every village having a bike or two stashed away, or at least the wheels fitted to a home-made trailer.

The bike looks like it is very good condition, but I would want to check the BB and the wheel bearings just to be sure.
The seller actually regreased and repacked everything recently!

'ZZR' is a classic post-war Communist era company name, all letters and no feeling, : 'Zakłady Rowerowe "Romet"' , essentially 'Bicycle Works 'Romet'. Later it became just 'Romet'. Even 'Romet' was short for something like ROwer ('bicycle') + METal.

Interestingly, 'rower' is pronounced 'rover', and 'Rover' was a big bicycle company in the UK, back in the 19th century, before they began making cars and, later, Landrovers.

'Universal' is the name they used when selling their bikes in foriegn lands, and when selling them in Poland in 'Pewex' shops - a special kind of shop where you could buy things in any currency instead of Polish zloties. Universal branded bikes where often built to a higher spec than those to be sold locally in zloty. I have a Universal Wigry and a Romet Wigry, and the Universal is noticeably much more well equipped.

Latest posts

Back