Key Lime Twist! (Hipsterest bike in all the land...) July 13

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everybody. I dropped out of RRBO #5 last year due to some unforseen circumstances, but I'm back this year! :)

The fiancee's bike I built her a few years back is getting tired and she wanted a new one so thats at the top of the honeydew list.

Started searching garage sales and the intarwebs to find a bike. I was able to get this CCM Coaster for $20. No idea about the year... I'll pull the serial number once I clean it up.

photo-2.jpg

It's in my office right now cause my Jeep is not conducive to transporting anything bigger than a 6 pack. Should have it home for the weekend...somehow.
She wants something comfy and reliable for the commute to work, and of course to look cooler than all the other bikes in the Cage.... 8)

As far as build plans go... Keep watching, you'll find out.

(I'm sorry for the poor quality picture, all I had was my phone at the time. Better ones will come as soon as its home.)

Re: Peppermint Twist! They got a new dance and it goes like this

Whew! Time for an update!

Bike is down to a bare frame, ready to be sanded and painted, but i still am hunting for the proper paint color!

Parts I have gotten:

Everyday Ladies Saddle (big and cushy with a built in LED blinker)

Cheng Shin whitewalls (26x2.125)

Beach Bars (no idea about brand)

Nantucket wicker basket for the front.

Pics to follow tonight!

Re: Peppermint Twist! Got a new dance and it goes like this 6/16

I have a similar ladies CCM "Galaxie" 3-speed, the hub dates it to a '71.

Mine's complete but very rusty. Someone should come take it out of my yard. Same cool crank gear but all the chrome on the bike would need a lot of work... Good luck with the build!

--Rob

Re: Peppermint Twist! AKA Key Lime Twist (PICS!)

FINALLY some work got done on the bike.

frame.jpg

Heres the frame with chemical stripper applied. The nasty house paint roller job was removed and there was beautiful emerald green paint underneath. It wont be staying though. The bike was soaking overnight to remove all the paint. The lady picked her color (Tremclad Key Lime) and thats what its gotta be!

rock.jpg

Heres the sprocket midway through using steel wool to remove the old paint. They sure dont chrome stuff like they used to, The sprocket cleaned up very well.

crank.jpg

Heres the crank. Same Idea, steel wool made it purdy again.

seat.jpg

led.jpg

Seat with LED lights on the back.

skit.jpg

Nantucket Basket. Looks great, brown leather straps match the seat and grips.

tires.jpg

26x2.125 Whitewalls, will be laced up with chrome 26" rims (rear coaster brake)
Something just screams 50's Hot Rod like whitewalls on chrome rims.

bars.jpg

Big goofy beach cruiser bars. Gotta love em!

plate.jpg

And a little something I picked up at a Swap Meet here in town. Wish I could have found something older, but this will do.

Dude! Are you from the 'Peg? I'll buy that license plate off ya! :mrgreen: I'm so stoked about the Jets! I'm a relocated Manitoban so the plate surprised me and I had to comment. I love the lime green idea, nice stuff you're working with so far.
Cheers,

slowerisbetter said:
Dude! Are you from the 'Peg? I'll buy that license plate off ya! :mrgreen: I'm so stoked about the Jets! I'm a relocated Manitoban so the plate surprised me and I had to comment. I love the lime green idea, nice stuff you're working with so far.
Cheers,

Yes, I have lived here my whole life and dont plan on relocating. Sometimes I dream about it when its -40c, but the summers make up for it! :) Where do you reside now?

Re: Key Lime Twist! (Mock-up July 6/11)

Rough mock up. I really like the lines!

side.jpg

sback.jpg

Paint is done! Its very hipster IMHO. And thats not a good thing. Next thing you know the woman is going to ask me for a fixed gear assembly and a case of PBR...Assembly will begin this evening.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Put the bars together, Painted the bell and seatpost "Winter Beater Ford Festiva Gold"

3.jpg

4.jpg

All done! Check the finished section! GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY! :)

Back