Just wondering...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Has anyone thought of using bolting the motor sprocket directly to a disc brake rear hub, or maybe even combining the brake disc with a sprocket? you'd have to move the disc caliper but I'd think it might be an idea worth checking out...

You can buy sprockets on EBay that mount to your disc mount. And they do sell a 'top hat adaptor' that allows you to use your standard brake caliper and have the sprocket beside it. I havent purchased one but have considered it. I see 2 problems though:

The 1st is if you replace your disc rotor with a sprocket you will have no rear brakes (you could use V brakes but i personally dont like the look of them.

The 2nd problem is if you use the tophat adaptor (sprocket and rotor) you would need a very slim caliper (I have 4 mountainbikes with quality disc brakes and all seemed too wide). I would be interested to hear from anyone that has had success with this.

The answer could be a sprotor (Exile Cycles make them for motorcycles) where the sprocket doubles as a brake rotor. But you would think oil would find its way onto the disc and contaminate the pads.

I have used http://kingssalesandservice.com/ hub mounted sprockets and think it is the best way to go if possible, He also makes the top hat adapter although I havnt used one yet.

I bought this for my bike and im alittle worred about the structural integrity on the disc bolt up holes. Not alot of meat there, plus how does the aluminum hold up with the metal chain? I love the looks of it and if it breaks on the disc holes ill mount it on another rim with the rag joint i guess.
001.jpg

Most motocross sprockets are made from alloy so i dont think that wear should be a concern. And it probably goes without saying but if u use the correct bolts and loctite you should be fine IMO.

I tried to install one yesterday on my disk wheel on my motorbike. My motorbike is an old beach cruiser. The chain is now too close to my seat stay (it rubs it). The Vendor does mention in their ad that some mods may be required for clearance or straight chain line.
I will be trimming the disk hub a bit to fix my clearance problem.
-If my motorbike used a disk compatible frame (instead of an old beach cruiser), there would have probably been no clearance problem.
-The vendor (King) sells the sprockets with an additional half inch of offset for ten dollars more that would have eliminated my clearance problem.
I would buy one of these again. I just didn't do enough homework before ordering.

Back