Is this a Rollfast

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Found this bike on CL and it piqued my interest. It has an ugly paint job but it has some interesting lines.

Anyone have any idea what this bike is? I thought maybe a Rollfast or Columbia.

Last edited:
I have a Royce Union with similar chainguard but different frame, mine has twin top and middle tube design. Also have a Western Flyer with very similar chainguard shape
Is frame lugged?

Last edited:
Man, I could not resist. I bought it for $ 35 today. I did research on the old net and I found out some info on this bike. It is a Rollfast Tanker bike circa mid '60s. It has these really cool long fenders. The first pic is one I found on Evilbay and the last two re of the actual bike.

Looks like I made a nice little score here. Gonna strip the nasty paint off it it and see what comes to mind. I have some cool old parts that I was saving for a special build that I plan on using.

Nice frame; definitely a Snyder-built frame. My buddy has a similar one. I love the way the seatstays are wishbone style, with the 2 separate mid-bars meeting the loop. Totally classy way to build a bike's rear-end, in my opinion.

Nice frame; definitely a Snyder-built frame. My buddy has a similar one. I love the way the seatstays are wishbone style, with the 2 separate mid-bars meeting the loop. Totally classy way to build a bike's rear-end, in my opinion.
I hadn't noticed that but you are right......way cool rear end. I am drinking my coffee and looking at it a little closer this morning as I got it late last night. The frame almost looks like a low rider frame without the clownish look. It is low, long and sleek. No wonder these bikes are popular rat rod builds.

I have a Royce Union with similar chainguard but different frame, mine has twin top and middle tube design. Also have a Western Flyer with very similar chainguard shape
Is frame lugged?

Your Royce was imported from Europe by Stelber. The WF is a mid 50s Murray. -Adam

Hey Guys, doing a refurb on this bike and need some help? Is the seat post a 13/16? I do not have access to the bike right now as it is in SA and I need to order one. Same goes for handle bar stem. Finally, I am stripping a newer Schwinn Delmar for parts and was wondering if the cranks on both bikes are compatible. To remove the crank from the old Rollfast, there is some type of locking washer on it. Any ideas on how to remove? Thanks

My first guess would be that you have a tabbed washer and the tab has migrated out of the slot. If so, you need to rotate it back with channel lock pliers. You may need to pry it out a little to get a grip. I'm assuming that you know that the left side hardware has left-handed threads.

Thanks. It is like a thick regular washer with two square slots on opposite sides. As far as I can tell, this is what is keeping the crank in place. So I just rotate this washer out to remove the crank?

11070091_921320881266466_8725029992002378136_n_zpse0prsmct.jpg

one of my all time favorites actually, I gave this one to my Dad for his birthday

Let me second guess myself here, some older bikes have a washer-like object pressed on to the inner bearing race ("cone"), to locate it while tightening the outer locking nut. If that's what you're dealing with, it should thread off clockwise.

Last edited:
11070091_921320881266466_8725029992002378136_n_zpse0prsmct.jpg

one of my all time favorites actually, I gave this one to my Dad for his birthday
Very nice ride! My Rollfast has a very crappy paint job that covered up a lot of the identifying symbols. From what I can tell, it is an early to mid 60's Rollfast. I am taking my sweet time prepping the frame and getting it ready to paint. I am still in the sanding stage. Once I remove the crank, the frame will be completely bare. I should be able to at least primer it on my next trip to SA. I am painting the fenders a gloss black and the frame itself will be a cool candy apple red. Should look really sic when I am done with it!

Back