ID this 1960s Ross Bike please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a little bit of research I THINK its a 1960 Ross Super DeLuxe. But I'm not sure. Any clues on this? Also, what do you think its worth in its current condition and what do you think it would be worth if fixed up in nice (not perfect) condition?

Imm94mYkjArN4WEgXPjfn4VMQLGZYLa9GF7ISGwmXvHd=w1379-h780-no

4t-Hhnri8DsiCCt7zecApBpUwGS6rQIySQgVoS9WAfPc=w1379-h780-no

06y4FyvjMUG8k_udgk2cr8uP4SsxoVTB81dxhjdHkv-C=w1379-h780-no

aZqbs4zDuTrLcsh81tIbMMidAdf_-lmcceF313fkOwlP=w1379-h780-no

Where 's the front wheel? Whoa, that fork
don't look too good .Grab it cheap ,build
something and Ride it! Use spare parts
and don't go over budget...Stevil

I second Stevil on this one. [and many others..]
Also., as a 1960-esque its still made by Chain Bicycle Company, which later became Ross. Better quality, better era ;)

^^^ Ah-ha! I was wondering why the 1976 ross apollo 3-speed I am working on is stamped "chain bicycle company" right next to the serial number. Thx!!!!

^^^ Ah-ha! I was wondering why the 1976 ross apollo 3-speed I am working on is stamped "chain bicycle company" right next to the serial number. Thx!!!!

Hey, happy to help. Can I see yours by chance? I owned a tanked '58 CBC [Chain Bicycle Co] Bike a couple months back., didnt make much on it but it was a looker for the era, certainly.

Here's the 76 Ross 3 speed frame I found. Serial number starts 1276 (Dec 1976) and it does have the matching chain guard not pictured in the photo. It's got maroon spray over the original dark brown/coppertone paint. I am going to strip it and try to repaint it the orignal color as accurate as possible with my resources. Got it for $5 at a recent swap.

I was really worried about finding the unique stock apollo seat and sissy bar but got lucky on craigslist less than two weeks later and found a mostly complete (as far as I can tell) Ross Apollo Racer for $100. Even luckier the serial number on the racer starts 1176 (Nov 1976) so it was made a month before the 3 speed.

All I really need now for the 3 speed build is a rear 3-speed internal wheel and shifter/cables, front fender, and another break/cables. I know the later apollos have a little thumb shifter on the handlebars but I doubt I can resist putting a top tube lever shifter on it.

Sorry to derail your thread. Pun intended.

The handlebars are just flipped 180 that's why the fork looks weird. Quite sure it's not bent.

Well what is cheap to you guys? The guy asked me for $125 for all 4 bikes in the pile. I only cared about the Ross but he wanted to get rid of all of them. The other three appear to be mid-90s basic mountain bikes. Nothing special. I would love to get the Ross for super cheap but the guy knows what he has. He knows it's old and worth at least something...

Thoughts?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

grab em all for 100, resell the other three after some basic lube and love., keep the bread winner and load it up ;)

I second Stevil on this one. [and many others..]
Also., as a 1960-esque its still made by Chain Bicycle Company, which later became Ross. Better quality, better era ;)
It actually has a Ross logo in the 2nd pic.

The Ross Deluxe I had was my first vintage bike. Was able to get some help way back when with a member that had a his and hers matching Deluxe.
1964 as I recall was mine.
Ross doesn't have much if any research material much less a serial number data base.
Think I sold mine for $175 which had ape hangers.
Value before cleaning... $45 ...after ( seeing it has a deluxe rear rack with crash rails) maybe $175 to someone just starting in the hobby or someone that just have to have. $175 is better than full retail IMO.
But, a nice project. Be sure to post pictures once the WD40 wipedown is completed. Shine then fenders up...then the value goes up. Even better if the tanklight works.

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Then maybe the CBC cutoff was mid 70. I dont have the paperwork next to me

Chain Bike was started around 1956, by the Ross family. They made bikes like Thunder and Star Jets for chain stores, and used the family name on their own line. Ross serials through the 60s start with R, and then the year. I'd guess the op's bike as a R61 or R62. -Adam

Back