I got a new trike! Anyone know anything about these?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked this up from the scrap metal yard last weekend. I am retrofitting a tractor seat to fit on it(I happen to work at a tractor shop...) which turned my $20 trike into a $60 trike, but man it'll be comfy.... It has a Sturmey Archer 3 speed coaster hub AND a small drum-type brake on the front. And a badge that says TrailMate on the crazy long headstock...
Here's some picks. I need some help finding a sturmey archer cable, though. Anyone know anyhting about these things here? I'm clueless...
2862272729_0196c6051e.jpg

2862272729_0196c6051e.jpg

2862273263_8433cca7c3.jpg

2862273639_d482506343.jpg

2862273839_9b85432e6b.jpg

So there's my trike. Like I said I need help finding a Sturmey Archer cable... My LBS is as useless as teats on a boar unless I got a fancypants mountainbike or skinny-wheeled roadbike... Which I don't...

That thing is killer!! I don't know how something that ugly could be so utterly cool but there she is! I have bought Sturmey Archer cables from US choppers. I think they are about $6... I have a couple old bikes with cables but I don't know how good they would be and since a new one is so cheap that's probably a better bet.

So are those 20" rear and a 16" front? I bet the thing feels like a rocket sled when your cookin.... If you decide to sell that thing let me know...

Yeah 20"s out back and a 16 up front. The 16 is a semi-solid tire. I haven't had a chance to get it up to speed yet, just cruised it up and down the road... The old schoolhouse seat kinda likes to lean and break under my girth. Hopefully I'll have the tractor seat on it tonight. Found out that trailmate calls this the low-rider... And it is low.

So besides posting stuff here and trying to look busy, I have my converted tractor seat ready to go on my trike as soon as I get home. :-D I probably shouldn't do this stuff at work, but oh well...
2863121207_3a2ee438b0.jpg

2863120953_15aba2f7fb.jpg

Don't worry the water was just from cooling down my welds on my "kustum fabbed" mounting brackets. I love welders and die grinders. :-D

Sweet. They even had the owner's manual online there. I printed one. My 3 speed hub seems to be slipping a lot. Like a lot. Any idea about what to do? I've got a copy of a hub diagram, and there are lots of tiny parts in there...

Yeah, the old yellow schoolhouse seat was cool, but it was broke... And the tractor seat is comfy... I forgot my camera at home... It has new pics on it... oh well. It'll give me something to do tomorrow. :-D

Update on the slippin' 3 speed... I decided to retrofit a shimano 3ccc hub I had into the trike... Retrofitting sucks sometimes. I had to cut away metal because the sprockets were hitting, and the shifter parts don't function correctly, mainly cuz I need a new cable...And the coaster brake parts don't work... Then as I am assembling and adjusting, I find I'm running into the same problem... So I look at where the wheel goes onto the axle... and I noticed the pin that goes through the wheel and secures it to the axle was missing... So basically I tore down my wife's trike and retrofitted a hub without brakes into it for no reason... :x :x :x
So I'm gonna re-fit the sturmey archer hub, get a new shifter and cable, then tear down the shimano hub and see what's going on with that one... Live and learn I guess...

Well, here's Minerva, as my wife has dubbed her...
2870029957_12d65b3255.jpg

2870030273_c693ccc4f9.jpg

She's pretty crusty lookin'(the trike, not my wife :wink: ), but she cruises pretty good... I don't know how many times I've had to ask Debra to slow down a little so I didn't have to work so hard to keep up... :mrgreen: It's still running the shimano hub, I'm waiting for my new sturmey archer cable and shifter before I re-fit the Sturmey...

Back