How to get chain good and tight

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my rear wheel off last night to remove the fender. I put the wheel back on and just could not get the chain "factory" tight. It's a KK Roadster and the chain is of course long. It definately has a slight bit of sag and is not tight when pushing on it and it did before.

How do you folks get enough "pull" on the back wheel to get the chain good and tight while tightening the axle nuts?

Thanks,
Rob

i normally start with both loose pull the wheel back and tighten the left side (looking at the wheel facing the rear of the bike or non drive side). then step to the side of the bike and press the palm of your hand aganst the chain stay reach your fingers through grabing a spoke or two and gently pull the wheel towards the side tensioning the chain and while tight then tighten the nut. this will normally get you in the ball park first check for tight spots in the chain and if good look at the wheel from the back to see that the wheel is centered. if not loosen the nondrive side and adjust as needed. and when in doubt get a bigger hammer!

Tugnuts/chaintensioners are always cool if you have the track dropouts. I also use a stick of wood and pry between the tire and bottom bracket/kickstand area while tightening up the nut.s
HU5511.jpg

Back