how to adjust 2 speed cable from 1960

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i asume you have a bendex hand shift 2 speed. well the adjustment is made in the rear where the cable goes into the long barel looking thingy. best suggestion i can make the the actuall adjustment is to start with the cable a bit slack then go into first. now while cranking it slowly turn the barel in tightening the cable till you can hear it start to grab and it will grid a bit. keep going till it stops and sounds smooth. you dont want it too tight cause you will break the cable and good luck finding another. these are weird hubs in that there is no visual shift adjustment like archer or shimano hubs.

there is a fine tune adjustment screw under the thing that screw on the axle or the nut can be moved on the cable itself. Is that bike giving you trouble? It took me a while to tune it when i had it, but it was working fine when i sold it to the other guy. After taking it apart and regreasing it i would not say that this design of hub is bulletproof by any means.

my friend actually has the bike ,and i guess he is haveing problems.I just wonder if there was any parts switching done by that bike flipper.

There is an internal adjustment for those hubs. The sun gear has to be fully engaged into the planetary (low gear) side of the sprocket driver with the shift cable and indicator assembly at rest. There is a screwdriver slot on the end of the axel on the brake arm expander side for making that adjustment. With the shift cable removed and the brake arm expander axel lock nut loose, thread the axel clockwise using a screwdriver on the end of the axel until the sun gear is fully engaged into the planetary drive side. I always thread the axel in until it stops and back out about one turn. Then tighten the expander lock nut and don't let the axel turn any until you have it tight back in the frame. Then check it with the shift cable attached to see if it moves the sun gear over and fully engages the drive cone for high gear. Thanks!!!

Back