"Hopalong Cassidy" American Restoration.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Did anyone see the American Restoration episide on 50's Rollfast resto? If somebody already posted this sorry,but if not here we go.A guy brings in a bike for Rick to resto. its a "Hopalong Cassidy" Rollfast really cool original rough shape bike. He did a complete top to bottom redo super nice lottas of chrome,even finds a tank,badges and a headlight from a guy named "Chewie"in Vegas for $350. Super cool! The whole time he's keeps talking about paying attention to detail.Fast forward bikes done $2500 Plus $500/parts tab shows the finished bike , brake arm not attached !! And I love that show!! :oops:

Yeah also for $3,000 you'd think he'd at least spend $15 on a real chain breaker rather than a grinder. :roll: I'm a fan of the show too but he cuts a lot of corners and his prices are kinda out there. I think the Discovery channel stages a lot of things too. I have noticed the same items pop up on 3 different shows. Like for example the "Cowboy belt" from Cajun pawn stars was also found in a storage locker on storage wars. The civil war belt buckle with the bullet in it was on American Pickers, Pawn stars, and Auction Hunters. Not to mention the car that was on American Pickers, Pawn Stars, and American Restoration but that one they at least let you know up front it's the same car.

outskirtscustoms said:
I think the Discovery channel stages a lot of things too. I have noticed the same items pop up on 3 different shows. Like for example the "Cowboy belt" from Cajun pawn stars was also found in a storage locker on storage wars. The civil war belt buckle with the bullet in it was on American Pickers, Pawn stars, and Auction Hunters. Not to mention the car that was on American Pickers, Pawn Stars, and American Restoration but that one they at least let you know up front it's the same car.

Good catch. In other words, the shows are FAKE, FAKE, FAKE. Glad I don't waste my time with them. Gary

B607 said:
outskirtscustoms said:
I think the Discovery channel stages a lot of things too. I have noticed the same items pop up on 3 different shows. Like for example the "Cowboy belt" from Cajun pawn stars was also found in a storage locker on storage wars. The civil war belt buckle with the bullet in it was on American Pickers, Pawn stars, and Auction Hunters. Not to mention the car that was on American Pickers, Pawn Stars, and American Restoration but that one they at least let you know up front it's the same car.

Good catch. In other words, the shows are FAKE, FAKE, FAKE. Glad I don't waste my time with them. Gary
In other words they may or may not be fake but they are definitely embellished to make them more interesting and some items have been staged. I know the pawn shop is real because I drove by it in Vegas before the show was even on the air. Beautiful city if you ever have the chance to go do it just stay away from the roulette table. :roll:

I'm kind of impressed with the paint work I've seen the guy do on the few episodes I've watched, but they seem to be hacks otherwise. And the prices he charges folks seem crazy for what they actually do...

I watch all of the shows Pawn,Pick and Rick! The whole idea of these shows is really cool, but just be real. Get rid of the script and be real! Just think every time you see someone answer the door from inside or see Mike or Frank crawl under a house,barn,bus,cave,attic the camera is already there! I guess I must like it or wouldnt be typing right now. :?

Someone on Yahoo Answers says I restore bikes and virtually always recommend against restoring Murray and Huffy, particularly womens models. My average restoration costs $2500 which is generally considered to be cheap. Doing it yourself might save you labor but will multiply your time at least 10 fold. A lot of the stuff isn't easy to find and many collectors and rstorers keep their inventory for themselves.
Source(s):
32 years in the industry

Come on that can't be serious and do you actually keep your "inventory" for yourselves which I don't think so because you guys try your best to help everyone out with what they need for their bicycle?

Wasn't most of the parts already there so why would it cost that much to restore that Rollfast on that episode?

kngtmat said:
Come on that can't be serious and do you actually keep your "inventory" for yourselves which I don't think so because you guys try your best to help everyone out with what they need for their bicycle?

There probably are people that do that, but that really is an obsolete way of thinking. I suspect that applied before internet-based communities like this one became prominent, and there was no easy to reach out and share parts. The only solution would've been to stock pile stuff.

The other flaw in this overall thinking is that it ignores the fact that the typical person that wants a bike restored isn't necessarily looking for a museum piece. They want the bike to look good and be rideable. And you certainly don't need to shell out $2500 or more for that. A lot of those folks have that Murray or Huffy from childhood - even the girls bikes! - and just want to keep it for sentimental reasons. For those people, a clean up and refurbish (not restore) would probably be more suitable, at a tenth the cost...

expjawa said:
kngtmat said:

There probably are people that do that, but that really is an obsolete way of thinking. I suspect that applied before internet-based communities like this one became prominent, and there was no easy to reach out and share parts. The only solution would've been to stock pile stuff.

The other flaw in this overall thinking is that it ignores the fact that the typical person that wants a bike restored isn't necessarily looking for a museum piece. They want the bike to look good and be rideable. And you certainly don't need to shell out $2500 or more for that. A lot of those folks have that Murray or Huffy from childhood - even the girls bikes! - and just want to keep it for sentimental reasons. For those people, a clean up and refurbish (not restore) would probably be more suitable, at a tenth the cost...

He is kind of like that on a lot of his answers and he's one of those know it alls that one time we both answered a question he said something about I believe a 1964 Schwinn in Coppertone that he says Coppertone was only generally available in '64 and '65. It was a non-catalog color in 1963 well I always research what I don't know to help others out better then give them the link to what I found out but I usually don't bother answering when someone is right but when they add something about it's not worth anything but scrap even though the bike is a great bike that I know many of you would want like one guy for a question for an AMF bike one guy said AMF is not collectible at all & worth $0.00.

Also if I had that much for a bike I would have bought a few that wanted for way longer than the one I was getting restored already in great condition.

B607 said:

My son's friends parents went to Vegas and stopped by the Pawn Stars pawn shop. His dad was stopped outside by the producers of the show and asked to take something in to "pawn". He agreed to do it but he didn't make it on the show when it aired.

Back