Help ID this bike... roadmaster?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new to this site... and new to vintage bikes also. Trying to restore this for my wife for our anniversary, it has been in her family for a long time.
IMAG4045.jpg

there is a serial on the bottom that looks like it starts with either a T83 or F83...? There are no other distinguishing marks.

thanks for the responses. I was having a hard time finding similar bikes that have the curved upper bars AND the straight lower bar. Here is a pic of the serial number, super clean bicycle.
serialnumberforbicycle.jpg

I ordered new tires and tubes, some stuff to clean up the chrome... and I need to find a good seat. Suggestions on seats would be great! Thanks bros.

The_Black_Monark said:
johnny hatchback said:
thanks for the responses. I was having a hard time finding similar bikes that have the curved upper bars AND the straight lower bar.

google images Rollfast Zep yields a bunch.

Brooks saddles are tough to beat for style, quality, and comfort IMO.

Yeah i'm researching now and found a bunch of stuff about these, thank you!

What's best to use on original paint? Rubbing compound? Regular wax? Both?

Also post a pic of the headbadge mounting holes or rivets or whatever is there. That will help narrow it down a bit between rollfast and hawthorne, etc.

ozzmonaut said:
Also post a pic of the headbadge mounting holes or rivets or whatever is there. That will help narrow it down a bit between rollfast and hawthorne, etc.

You can see where the holes are, but looks like there never was a badge on this bike...
IMAG4751.jpg

The_Black_Monark said:
Rubbing compound can be pretty aggressive, maybe try Flitz or something less abrasive first.

Yeah i was going to just wash it really well and try some regular wax on a part and see how it comes out. I used to detail cars so i have a bunch of different waxes and what not.

I've got the perfect modern feel, but vintage look grips for that bike. If you're so inclined, PM me.

Like stated above, save the chain. Try soaking in penetrating oil and running it through some steel wool. They rarely are no good unless they are pitted and junk

Your chain should have a master link. You'll just need a small screwdriver to remove it. The goal is to pop the outer plate off of the master link, held in place by the two pins. Grab the chain on either side of the masterlink. Apply pressure to master link using both hands on chain in an attempt to push the two pins inward, thus relieving the tension that is holding the plate on. You almost need a 3rd hand, but slip a very small screwdriver behind any gap that you can find behind the plate. WATCH YOUR HANDS, these small screw drivers can really hurt! Pop the outer plate off. This may take several attempts. Others may have a different method, but this is mine.

To replace master link, apply above concept and squeeze plate on by applying pressure with a needle nose pliers. Plate always faces outward away from bike.

Back