Hello from West Central Florida

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all... New guy here and getting back into bikes. Last time I road was about 30 years ago and I'm now 48. I love all the retro looking and modded bikes, takes me back to my childhood. My wife and I moved to Pinellas Park, Florida from the Chicago area last April for warmer weather. (I am disabled and the cold Chicago weather has been tearing me up in recent years) Recently I decided what better way to see the town than on a bike. My son bought me a bike for Christmas/Birthday present, the La Jolla, and have been enjoying it ever since. Chose a cruiser for a more upright seating position over a mountain bike, my arthritic back can't take leaning forward for too long. Beats the heck out of sitting at home watching the grass grow. I am planning to buy another bike soon, the 29 inch Onyx, and slightly mod it. I just don't know if I want to keep the La Jolla to have 2 bikes or return it. But anyway, this looks like a great place to hang out when not riding and hope to learn a few things and make some new friends.

Before: With stickers
100_0679-1.jpg

After: Without stickers & fenders (May put the fenders back on)
IMG00263-20120123-1052-1.jpg

EDIT: I put the fenders back on, looks better in my opinion.

Welcome from Cape Canaveral .Just the other side of the state,I like those LaJolla's their super light. I have a ton of old bikes u name it and ride my LaJolla as my daily rider mines a older one.(funky red ones) You'll see a lot of florida members here welcome and enjoy the ride!

largek9 said:
Welcome from Cape Canaveral .Just the other side of the state,I like those LaJolla's their super light. I have a ton of old bikes u name it and ride my LaJolla as my daily rider mines a older one.(funky red ones) You'll see a lot of florida members here welcome and enjoy the ride!

Thanks for the welcome. I ride mine about 5 miles a day in the morning and then a few more miles around the neighborhood throughout the rest of the day. I love it and don't think I could give it up, just too much fun. Living only about 10 miles from the Gulf of Mexico I plan to take it to the beach a few times, maybe ride it north to Clearwater or south to St. Pete. Get my wife a bike and make a day of it.

duncan said:
Welcome! I used to live in pinellas park :) it's a nice place. Nice bike too! I like the color combo.

Thanks for the welcome.... Yea, it's a nice place. Excellent surroundings and great neighbors.

As for the bike I guess I should have updated this thread. LOL I returned that La Jolla bike and rushed back home to order the Genesis Onyx 29". Here is a pic of the way it sits now. Plan to do some mods to it soon.

100_0768.jpg

Welcome from Orlando.... man we need get a central Florida get together or something going on .. iv been seeing a lot of central florida around lately...again welcome.. :D

Thanks for the welcome jaysmo.... A get together sounds like fun. I see a lot of cruisers in this area but no events that I've found. Only rides I've seen here are for mountain bikes and road bikes that require a speed over 20mph. I ride my bike taking my time to soak everything in and enjoy the weather and the scenery, why rush it?

Thats kinda funny , I sent a welcome post to ya a while back, on how much I like my La Jolla After that I put it on C/L the first guy bought it! Then I bought 2 frames another CWC W/Flyer mens 26" and a 1963 Columbia mens 26" With the cash . :) Oh did I mention that I paid $25,00 for the LaJolla a year ago! thanks Tom.

largek9 said:
Thats kinda funny , I sent a welcome post to ya a while back, on how much I like my La Jolla After that I put it on C/L the first guy bought it! Then I bought 2 frames another CWC W/Flyer mens 26" and a 1963 Columbia mens 26" With the cash . :) Oh did I mention that I paid $25,00 for the LaJolla a year ago! thanks Tom.

LOL Maybe the La Jolla is not so hot after all. :lol:

Welcome from Ponte Vedra Beach. Hope you guys have been able to ride in the absolutely beautiful we have been having lately!

ED-PV said:
Welcome from Ponte Vedra Beach. Hope you guys have been able to ride in the absolutely beautiful we have been having lately!

Thanks... :D Heck yea, I've been riding everyday. Even one day when it rained, it was getting dark by the time the rain stopped but was able to get a few miles in. I love this weather, beats the cold snaps back in Illinois.

Back