Headlight conversion to LED info....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well,as I said.I am not at all interseted in a Dyno set up.The whole Wire and Dyno on a Rat bike seems Wrong to me so I set out and thought for weeks how I would do it..and it turns out the easiest way is always the easiest way!!!

I went to a Hardware store and bought this little puck light that is designed for sticking in dark spots.You just push the center and 3 super bright LEDS come on.It was $8.00 and it takes 3 AAA batteries that last about 12 hours.

I filed around the edges because it is the exact same hole size as the Union Light.A little filing and it fits in nice and tight.
It looks like this.
0173.jpg

I took the Chrome interior of the stock light and nipped the hole where the bulb sticks through bigger and fliped it backwards so that it acts as a base for the LED light to seat on when you put it in the case.
0174.jpg

Just push the whole puck light into the light until it hits the backing and it's in!!! It fits nice and snug..
0172.jpg

pop the cover back on and it's done.When you want to turn the light on you just grab a dime or something small like that and pop it in the little notch where you open the light...push the Dot Light and it's on...

AND IT"S FRIGIN BRIGHT!!!!!!

0171.jpg

THE LITTLE PUCK LIGHTS COME IN A PILE OF COLORS SO MAYBE A sILVER COLORED ONE WOULD BE BEST...I just happened to grab the first one I saw to do this build...The next one will be a silver..

Vwalla..light...and very bright light!
0176.jpg

0175.jpg

I have found a few old lights with the same size base so maybe this will work with others....

hope this helps a few people..I know the light will sure help me at night..
peace,
Kev.

:) That reflector housing look like plastic, could it be cut with a hacksaw blade? Was it a chain hardware store you went to?

It's a Canadian store...it's called Rona Hardware..they are like a Home Depot..just a bit smaller.It was one of those things that's hangin on the shelf right before you check out....near the Gum and Goodies...

Vroom said:
:) That reflector housing look like plastic, could it be cut with a hacksaw blade? Was it a chain hardware store you went to?

The reflector is plastic...I just nipped it with needle nose..it's the first CRUDE build.

next time I will either hack saw it( which will be tough because it will be hard to hold and the plastic is brittle..

or I might heat up a 2 inch pipe with a Torch and just place the Red Hot Pipe end on the Reflector that is sitting on the bench and it will melt it's way through...leaving a nice 2 inch piece melted out for the base..

Looks good!

You've inspired me to try this idea with my 67 Typhoon. :lol:

I bet Radio Shack has some small metal toggle switches that could be wired into this set up. Just drill a small hole in the back of the housing and mount it there down low.

NICE WORK!!!

100_1232-1.jpg

The light probably has a little hole with a Rubber Grommet for the wire that would normaly come out for the Dyno already....you also don't have to bust up the Reflective dish...just find something else to use as a backing piece..

Go for it Rat Rod,

Kev.

I do not know how bright they are, but Big Lots had a 3 or 4 pack of Sunbeam brand lights like this for $9 a pack.

Might be worth a try until the process is perfected.

Here's athread I started on this subject, I got these LED conversion modules for Minimag lights at Dixie line lumber for like $7 or 8 and fit the light hole perfectly with no mods, there's a one-watt version available for about $13 bucks they all run for a long time off 2 AAs, actually added a second one to the light above for the high beam, incandescent in the photo

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4564&p=45458&hilit=led#p45458
IMG_0618.jpg

Back