Greetings

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings Rodders....

I've been building bikes for a couple of years here in Grand Rapids, Mich -- the rust belt, perfect for rusty rat rods. I grew up with Aurora stot cars and COX gas powered cars. I won't say how old I am but we once saw Don Garlits set a national top fuel record at Martin US 131 Dragway in his first rear engine Swamp Rat at 222.30 mph.

I love PONTIACs too. -- and own a sweet 72 LeMans Sport Convertible - 400 CI.

The rat rod bike thing is a passion -- if I'm not working on 'em I'm thinking about them. Making sketches. Checking e bay for parts. We just came from the Ann Arbor bike show -- one of the nation's premier bikes shows an swap meets. Lots goodies there -- although the prices are going up.

We have a house with a basement/shop full of bikes -- many don't understand why we have 15 bikes in a household of four.

Pre war bikes are my favorite. I enjoy working on something that's almost seventy years old... how many others things last that long???
They were built with love and craftsmanship in the good old USA. No China crap.

PS If you want to read a good book check out No Hands -- the rise and fall of the Schwinn company. The demise of a corporate giant by the hands of its family owners. A sorry tale of greed and waste.

If you checked my gallery posting I have recently finished my Bare Metal Madness project which is a real head turner. All my bikes can be ridden any distance -- we build 'em to ride em -- no trailer queens.

I also threw out a challenge to you all for the next build. The challenge was made in fun boys. Take it easy. We're all in this together... right?

Anyhow, take care and see you down the road.

KickBackHub

KickBackHub said:
I also threw out a challenge to you all for the next build. The challenge was made in fun boys. Take it easy. We're all in this together... right?

Welcome to the forum. :D

I think folks took it the wrong way since nobody knew you yet.

We have had a few folks show up in the past that literally claimed to be the "best" at building bikes and needless to say, it didn't go over very well. :lol: We've got a friendly humble bunch here that love to help each other out and encourage each other in building cool bikes. That seems to explain the success of the forum and why folks love hanging out here so much.

Looking forward to seeing you build a few bikes in the future. :wink:

WELCOME! :D

The Snake vs. The Mongoose. I can remember that. I think that was about the time HBO was the only extra channel on cable and all my friends were talking about this Atari thing you hooked up to your TV. Like I said, "I think that was about the time...." because I'm an old fart now and my memory sucks.

I certainly echo your sentiments about the pre-war bikes. Put a pre-war frame next to a Chinese built one today and the two just don't compare. The difference in quality and craftsmanship is obvious, and even today the old bikes seem to open up a door to the past like nothing else, even after all the crazy stuff we do to them.

No doubt a lot of the MI guys will be glad to see another join the ranks-the Texas folk are giving them a run for the money in terms of which state has the most representation here. Welcome to the site!

welcome, ya must be a yougster, i am 62 an well don't think i can keep up with the young crowd anymore, but i can still build with em.lol

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Back