Getting there... slowly! Krate project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My poor orange krate project just keeps getting kicked off to the back burner... well, not for any longer! It's come a long way since my purchasing it from the junkyard in January (my self given birthday gift :wink: ), and it still has a ways to go. Before finishing my stretch, I've decided I need to do this bike justice and finish it up. I am switching the five speed gear cluster w/ derailleur over to a coaster brake SA 3 speed, and think I will switch the factory shock sissy bar out for a standard bar and go with a white pleated glitter seat over the orange "S" krate seat... it's not a perfectly stock restoration, but I'm using all period/Schwinn parts and liking it much better customized than if I had left it totally stock. The frame and most of the bike is '68... the fork and fender are '71, the slik is a repro which I will likely switch for an original black wall slik... I think I might trade the shifter out for the later crooked/bent krate shifter with the sideways knob (is that the style of 70-72 maybe? I wouldn't know). I love baskets, had never seen a stingray special set, and got these in trade... the logo on the brace is even orange. I blasted and repainetd the seat pan shown, though as I mentioned, I think I'll go for an original seat instead to match the patina of the bike.

AS FOUND:

k4uuf4.jpg

As of now... soon to be finished hopefully!

xlvxv9.jpg

2qi8qk1.jpg

2e38rnp.jpg

The bent shifter with sideways knob is '69 only. Your bike is looking nice BTW! I wish my bike were more like yours. Mine has been repainted poorly. I would rather have ratty original than new shiny paint any-day. :D

bikepics044.jpg

The Schwinn Sting Rays and Fastbacks are about the only spyders that can be unmodified and still be authentic. :lol: Period customs and updates are cool, a lot of people mod their brand new bikes, including top end models. I also prefer to leave top brand and antique stock paint alone if it still works, but it ain't my bicycle. :wink:

Thanks for the comments.

deorman said:
. I also prefer to leave top brand and antique stock paint alone if it still works, but it ain't my bicycle. :wink:

I haven't and won't be painting this one... it doesn't really show too nicely in the photos, but the original paint shined up really well with some compound and wax and has a really nice aged look to it, even a little ratty. :D

Back