Full sheetmetal fabricated frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see a bike built like Jesse James new CFL-II built out of fabricated sheet metal and very little tubing. Apparently the rear is so stiff the tubular uprights aren't even needed. I love the look of this bike and not having to buy a tubing bender might be beneficial.
fdfa9c5d.jpg

I don't think he's banging these out with a hammer and dolly, there's some serious engineering and tooling involved. A tubing bender would be a cheaper and easier route in my opinion, I'm a traditionalist...

well...ya Jesse used a CNC metal brake that had never been done before. lots of stuff never been done before on it. But for a bicycle it would be a lot less chalenging to build I was thinking of just using a regular sheet metal brake and possible welding the stuff that couldn't be bent.

Go for it! I recall seeing a few old bikes that were made out of stamped sheet metal and they looked very cool. I think you'll have a difficult time creating something with rigidity comparable to a tube frame, but you'll never know unless you try...

A decent "handyman" type of tube bender would be cheaper than a good sheetmetal brake and press that you would need to bend and press some of those lines like that frame has.

cheapness is not the point guys. a brake may be cheaper or more expensive or even the same cost as a tube bender. the point it i think it looks cool and would be a different approach to building a bike. it could even be done with hammer forms if tool cost is an issue.

If you build it they will come. I'd like to see this done, it sounds cool as heck...Kelly

Back