Front end adaptable to someone's build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin B

Bicycle Demolitionist
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm . . . Just put a three piece crank in the rear wheel and go chainless!
img_1_1692136026671.jpg

I think that tape on the front spokes is to keep it in the beams longer. Some of the drag guys actually slightly stagger their front wheel spindles. They are still true in alignment but one is slightly behind the other. The overlap keeps them in the beams longer. It is a safe guard against red lights.

Last edited:
I think any motor in that chassis would be scary. I can't even imagine what would happen when you turned the bars with the fork raked that far
I've read that when you put a longer stem on a bike extending the bars further out over the front wheel is slows the steering down making it less jerky. Not sure how this would be. There seems to be a steering spindle on one side of the front wheel.

When Don Garlits was trying to perfect the rear engine dragster he was having handling issues and noted that all previous attempts at rear engines were know to be twitchy ill handling cars. He was returning from another disappointing shake down test and his friend and chassis man said, "You know Gar' it's almost like the steering needs to be slowed down." They got back to the shop and changed the steering box ratio. From that moment on slingshot were over in top fuel.

Maybe something like that is going on with this drag bike.

Hmmm . . . Just put a three piece crank in the rear wheel and go chainless!View attachment 245876

I didn’t notice the first time that he had put duct tape on the front spokes, so he can “break the lights”. Otherwise the timing will not work correctly at the strip.

I think any motor in that chassis would be scary. I can't even imagine what would happen when you turned the bars with the fork raked that far

It would steer very slowly. Perfect for a straight line only bike.

I think his problem is simply keeping the front wheel on the ground without adding weight to the bike.

Go watch today’s episode of Super Fast Matt on YouTube, and see why he changed his ratio on a similar steering arrangement.

He was trying to go 150 miles an hour though…

Bell-crank steering!

Latest posts

Back