From Washington to Sacramento

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone! First off I just have to give an open thanks to all of you for some major inspiration.

I actually just recently moved from Vancouver, WA (right next to Portland, OR) into Sacramento, CA and have been loving the change in culture and environment so far. In all honesty I haven't been into anything bike related for years now but loved every moment biking as a kid. My girlfriend is the one who actually got me started back down this road when she pulled out her cruiser and told me I should look into getting one. Well, being a graphic designer, its always hard settling for anything that isn't personal and you get this major gut feeling of happiness when you do something with your own hands, which brings me here.

I've been researching custom cruisers for a few weeks now, learning everything I can about bikes, parts, accessories, etc (without getting into welding or anything heavy like that). I think I have finally found a "hobby" I will absolutely love. So I am off to start my first simple cruiser build (and it seems like Sacramento is a good place to be for it)! Any guidance would be awesome, especially from the local Sacramento people, on where I should go, what to look for, what to look out for, and just general tips etc. I've got two ideas I'm working on in my head - one for a cruiser and another for a British Roadster/Dutch Bike/Balloon Bike that will be fun as well. You guys rock and keep the bikes coming!

JP :wink:

Schwinnspastic said:
welcome to rat world and cali ...see karfer at college cyclery in sac.... cool bike shop

Awesome! Thanks for the welcome. I was actually planning to head over to College Cyclery tomorrow to get started on my first bike! I don't know exactly what they have there but I have been hunting craigslist and e-bay for the last few days looking for that good starter bike (something I can work on but not get over my head with). Thanks again!

JP

Oh, also...

I totally forgot to say that I am a graphic designer and know Photoshop, Illustrator (and the rest of the Adobe CS3 line) pretty well. I've noticed through a couple forum posts from months ago people were looking for some picture help here and there. Always feel free to holler at me and if I have the free time I will work stuff up for you (and be honest with you and tell you its out of my range if I can't do it)!

Welcome. This gets addicting. Kinda like, eating candy or something your not supposed to...

HELLO&WELCOME! I Spent 15yrs in Portland! :?
L8 EM

Thanks Everyone!

Bought my first bike a day ago! Pictures to come soon but it is definitely nothing to write home about (or so I think). But I won't feel guilty messing around with this one compared to some of the classics I have seen floating around. Really cheap find too! Just a Diamondback Della Cruz from a few years back (2005, and :shock: made in China of course :oops:). It will give me something to tear apart and see what I can do with it to make it a good ride. Well, there's a first for everything! I have some concepts to play with and hopefully will come up with something fun for a starter project!

See you all soon and already keeping my eye out for a second and third build bike!

JP

Welcome I am not in Sac, I reside about an hour an 45 northeast in a place called Lucerne on the shores of Clearlake but I get to Sac once in a while for swap meets and such but my wifes family has a Tattoo shop in Portland,I hope you enjoy your new project and as far as posting pictures I'll probably be bugging ya.

welcome aboard! like you were already told......college is THE shop! hopefully ill see you on the next cruise(from what i heard i missed out on the best one to date)....im actually not in sact.(45 miles north)but im almost always down there getting parts or going on rides :mrgreen:

welcome to the forum. yea sacto has quite a cruser scene. come on over i will turn you in the right direction. and if you need a project i have a few frames. welcome

Thanks for all the help and words of encouragement guys!

Was busy with semester finals so I had to lay back on the forum reading and posting but now I am back. It's really awesome to have you all around to ask questions, especially being so new to bikes in general. I just need to start getting my hands dirty on a project bike now!

Thanks again!

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you finish with. Keep in mind, If you like something and they tell you it won't fit....trust me you will find a way to make it fit!!! Welcome :)

Back