fixed gear conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a bendix coaster brake hub and i want to make it into a fixed gear. what is the best and cheapest way to do this?

Do you mean you want to make it free wheel? Someone made a kit to turn a coaster brake into a free wheel years ago but, I doubt they still make them. Maybe someone here has a homemade solution. If I remember right the kit was really simple. You just replaced something in the hub that prevented the brake shoes from being applied. Sorry I'm not more specific. Its been about 20 years since I installed one.

A cheap way to make an freewheel hub fixed is to weld the sprocket in place around the thread. While you're at it cut off the brake are too. However, I DO NOT RECOMEND THIS. Unless you know a thing or two about welding and can make a strong one.

This also seems like a waste of a perfectly good coaster brake hub. A "fixie" hub can be had for $50 or so, and will get the job done better than a poorly cut and welded coaster brake hub.

Latest posts

Back