FIVE50 Cranbrook (First build)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this is my first build... Tho I SHOULD be finishing my 79 cb650, but this is just too fun :D

We were in need of a 'pit bike' for using at the track, and after looking at other options, building a motorized bike seemed to fit the bill. So two weeks ago I picked up this Huffy, and here is what I have so far.
Ordered a skyhawk 66 from bikeberry.com, it came a few days late thanks to the big snow storm last week, no worries.
However they forgot my U-bolt, but they did first class mail me one :)

Bobbed the fenders, took off all the stickers, and rode it for a week while I waited for the motor

Added some $12 mountain bike bars

Made this seat post out of the stocker. I'm not 100% sure if I like it or not..

I wanted more stoping power, so I got this kit from Pirate cycles as I was told it would fit
2011-02-07135647-1.jpg

However, I could not get them to work. They rubbed on the tires, and not at all on the wheel, I believe they need to be spaced forward. Emailed pirate about the issue, just looking for advice, and never heard back :?:
Oh well, I'm still stoked on the brakes so they'll be used for another build.

So I got the bike running for the track, but god the new style carb is mother to tune.

Never got it tuned right but still enjoyed it over the weekend.
You would NOT believe how many looks the bike got, so many pics were taken lol :)

Had a great weekend at the track, came home, and started tweaking with the bike.
First thing was to get the carb running better.
After a few hours tuning it, I got it running pretty great. It RIPS now.
No more bogging issues unless it idles for too long.
I believe it is running rich as it doesn't need any choke on start..?

For now I'm happy :)
Sorta before and after

My plans are to:
Figure out the brake situation
Find lights
True the wheels
Clean up the wires
Add an Imperial board tracker tank
Maybe change wheels/rear hub
Find a better looking stem
Get a beefier crank

I'm sure I'll want to do more lol

Thanks for looking

Jon

what did the brake pads not adjust low enough for the rim? thats why they wouldnt work? i really like how this build is goin though. and if you cant get the brakes working go with my sayin'
"brakes are for people who want to slow down, and i dont want to slow down anytime soon"

masterpoop63 said:
what did the brake pads not adjust low enough for the rim? thats why they wouldnt work? i really like how this build is goin though. and if you cant get the brakes working go with my sayin'
"brakes are for people who want to slow down, and i dont want to slow down anytime soon"
Thanks dude!
haha :lol: a saying to live by!

And yes, the arms aren't long enough to adjust the pads low enough to reach. I flipped the pads over, put on smaller pads I had, notta.
I even used some arms off an old bmx of mine, which gave about a 1/4 more adjustment, but the pads were half on, half off.
If there were a way to space the whole assembly forward, they would hit 100% rim. So I'll have to play with it, maybe fab something up..

I would like to do a Disc setup in the future.

-Jon

Here's a simple solution for the rear brake on these frames... Just install it on the front side of the mounting bar. The brake fits correctly and engages the rim properly in this position.

Here's a picture of the rear of my motorized Nel Lusso. The fender still fits great, but I hadn't installed it yet in this picture.
28990d1284340388-huffy-nel-lusso-1st-build-new-p9123594.jpg

iRide Custom Bicycles said:
Cool Cranbrook, but you're right, you should be working on your CB. New exhaust for my XS is coming next week.
Lol thanks man. I really do need to get back to working on it. Post a pic of the XS! :D

cobrafreak said:
I like. I think the tank would look cool in black and white checker.
Thanks, I think that could look sweet too, and with black wheels! This is just a temp tank tho :wink:

Cooon said:
Thats a sweet looking bike, how long you think it tok you to fit the engine?
Well it took a little longer than it should because of the missing bracket, but all in all no more than a few hours to fit everything.
The thing that took the longest for me was the dang rear sprocket.

This CNS carb is annoying me, I had it running great, then when the motor started breaking in, it was acting up again. No matter what setting I change too, it runs good for a few minutes then bogs like crazy.
I'm thinking about buying an older style NT.

FIVE50 said:
Lol thanks man. I really do need to get back to working on it. Post a pic of the XS! :D

Here's my little beasty. Bone stock (except for the ghetto Harley slip-ons) with almost 9000 miles on it. Starts first kick and runs like a dream. I recovered the seat and have some decent 26" chrome mufflers coming on Friday. I was going to do a street tracker mod, but just can't bring myself to hack into this one.

motorcycle101.jpg

FIVE50 said:
I believe it is running rich as it doesn't need any choke on start..?
Jon

Sounds like a good excuse to get loud. :wink:
The Yamaha reminds me of one a friend had. Does the kicker (it has one, right? :? ) hit the footpeg if you kick all the way through?

Back