~ELGIN ORANGE~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ~ELGIN ORANGE~ UPDATE 10-03

Thanks for all the kind words
I have been in a little pit of a holding pattern (and some what lazy) I originally planned on the 333 hub with a jockey shifter
But when I saw a pair of "air cooled" Elgin hubs I decided to go skiptooth :wink:
Got a box full of goodies from Walker(great guy) this week
Garrets7thbrithday026.jpg

Garrets7thbrithday028.jpg

Garrets7thbrithday022.jpg

Garrets7thbrithday024.jpg

Now the plan is to...
  • * Disassemble and clean Wheels
    * Paint or powder coat rims and hubs orange
    * Strip the paint off the rack
    * Cear coat everything
    * Put it all back together
    * Ride! :mrgreen:
Thanks for looking
Skip

Re: ~ELGIN ORANGE~ parts update 10-20

I can't believe it's been almost 5 months since I touched this thing what's worng with me.... :roll:
I have some time off work this week thought I would get some stuff done before the build off.
elgin012-2.jpg

elgin010-2.jpg

I have the worst luck with chain guard's could not get the dog leg crank to not hit the guard :cry:
ended up using this crank from a newer Schwinn
elgin006-4.jpg

Lots of room between guard
elgin011-3.jpg

Drilled the fender for the skirts Fat Franks fit :mrgreen:
elgin014-1.jpg

the hubs and rims are going to look sweet orange
elgin013-2.jpg

feels good to get working on this one again

that is so cool! as i was reading the thread i kept looking at the dates and realizing that this was an older thread! i just so happen to be using one of these bikes as my build off bike

are you really going to paint that frame? imagine it as is with some ivory and orange pinstripes on the bare metal. maybe just polish it a bit more and clear.

karfer67 said:
are you really going to paint that frame? imagine it as is with some ivory and orange pinstripes on the bare metal. maybe just polish it a bit more and clear.
Oh no! no paint on this one some orange on some parts here and there. but frame will get cleaned some more
and polished(was shining but after sitting in basement all winter rusted all up :shock: ) think i will clear it if it warms up again high temp of 40 here today :|
Walker said:
I've got the same crank/chainguard clearance issues on my Elgin build, can i have the dogleg cranks back :D

Lookin good man, keep rolling.....
If you need them let me know be happy to help you out!
Thanks for all the positive comments
Skip

jandroart said:
Your bike looks killer with the raw finish. Have you ever thought about clear powder coat instead of paint clear?
Thanks! I would love to powder coat it clear not sure it will fit the budget :roll:
need to get some estimates
Thanks again
Skip

Skip with all my looking on the site I missed this one ! That thing is pure Deco-Art awsome. Has any body flipped a set of skirt guards on to the front fender?
elgin0102copy.jpg

By xc204, shot with KODAK DX6440 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2010-04-14
Gary

XC204 said:
Skip with all my looking on the site I missed this one ! That thing is pure Deco-Art awsome. Has any body flipped a set of skirt guards on to the front fender?
elgin0102copy.jpg

By xc204, shot with KODAK DX6440 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2010-04-14
Gary
WoW! that looks the business
Very nice indeed Looks like the Empire state and a steam train and a ford tri-motor all rolled into one... I love it :mrgreen:

My Fung-Shui is offended by that photo! I like my version better!

Back