Electric Trike Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the key here is that I am not going to be able to widen the axles without a lot of trouble. I should be able to widen the wheels without much trouble at all.

But if I get some low profile tires from a golf car, it will probably be low enough to run the bench seat over the wheels.

The current tires are 23 inches tall, and are a 75 aspect ratio tire. I can buy 35 aspect ratio tires that are 215 mm. That works out to 19 inches which means my seat drops 4 inches.

That’s a big deal!

I did a little looking online and I found out that this is a lower final gear ratio than even antique Ford tractors, which used 6.66:1 gear ratios.

Counting the teeth, this drive ratio is 7.32:1.

I can get that up by using sprockets and chain, But the sprocket on the input shaft can be no larger than 4 inches and I’d hate to use a sprocket smaller than 2 inches on the motor.

That brings me to a final drive ratio of 3.61:1.

With the current tires, this thing travels 6 feet per axle rotation: so 900 rotations for 1 mile. 3.61x900=3249

3249 rotations of the motor will be required to go one mile with that sprocket arrangement. To go 1 mile a minute, which is 60 miles an hour, the motor would have to turn 3249 RPM.

That’s fine for gasoline motor, But electric motors typically turn half that fast or less.

Say the motor can only turn a more realistic 1624 RPM?

That yields a top speed of about 30 mph, If the motor can generate enough power.

Last edited:
Guys, I took the trike mockup all apart for now.
5147EF91-238F-4677-B68D-FB2CC5B28838.jpeg

I needed the extra room to work on the kit car, now that the weather has cleared up for good. Time to wake up the ‘glass and steel.
63E911A1-407C-4B6F-90CA-2BDC7FD27A73.jpeg

I’ll be working on the Fake Jaguar for the foreseeable future.
491285B9-E402-4A98-B1B2-5122C2B574FD.jpeg

No more bicycle building until this gets done.

https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/the-fake-jaguar-thread.116572/post-1229315

This is just a random update. I went out to charge the batteries on my boat yesterday, and they were dead as a door nail.

So the heavy batteries I was planning for the electric trike are now in my boat, and I will likely be buying fancy new lightweight lithium batteries for the electric trike.

Of course I can promise anything at this point, because the rate I’m going it’s gonna be six months until I get back to the trike.

Since I am not on any kind of schedule for this job, nor the other one, I took the day off to go fishing.

I took time off from working on the car to go bicycle riding over the weekend as well.

So yeah, priorities are important.

Back