Cut, replace, or wait?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
My daughter's seat was too high. Turns out it was bottomed out and I didn't know that. It also has a really long seat post. So... I need to lower it about two inches, but I have a couple questions.

1) If I lower the seat, will the Sissy ends be too far down and hit the ground? (see pic of her riding below)
2) If I cut the post, am I ruining some rare Schwinn post that could also go on a Krate, and therefore worth more than my house?
3) If I should just replace it with a shorter post, should I also replace the sissy? (See question 1)
4) Or should I just put this away till she gets a little taller? She's getting too big for her 16".

7gTNJM.jpg

fQDFut.jpg

That's weird it's bottoming out. On the boys bikes the seat post will go all the way down into the seat tube. Does the pulley for the shifter cable go into the seat tube?

I've trimmed some sissy bars for my son's bikes. He likes the banana seats low so he can scoot way back.

That seatpost is a "KRATE, PEELER, PICKER L@@K!!" part but not hard to find. Sissys are fairly easy to find as well.

I say cut away. I doubt a girl will ever want to do the circus bear on a Stingray routine anyways.

If the seat post and sissy bars are vintage Scwinn, I would not cut. I would order cheap replacements from EBay or Niagra Cycle and cut these down to size. JM2C

Did you have either replated? Don't cut if you did, swap them out.
Otherwise......you gotta have a shorter post around somewhere..and repop sissys are a dime a dozen. I've got one off a Micargi Hero Girl's bike I might swap with you and I'm sure lots of guys closer to you might as well.

I sold all my posts when I sold all my spare parts. But a short Wald post wouldn't be too expensive. I guess a repop sissy wouldn't be too bad either, and both would be temporary until she grew a little and I could put the originals back on.

But with the apes the bike still might be a little big. I'm going to have to chew on this a little. Thanks for the input so far.

for the sissybar , the brackets that hold it on the frame , you could use some of those to hold the seat lower on the pole , you would have a taller back rest , but you wont have to cut or change the sissy ;)

I'm thinking the shorter seat post and sliding the sissy bar down a little will be enough, looking at the picture of the young lady riding..Especially if Dad teaches her to pedal with the ball of her foot instead of the arch area. As far as the bars, you can drop them some by tilting them back, which I'm sure you know.

Back