Columiba Westfield with shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
This bike is about 2 hours away from me, but it looks interesting, especially the shifter on the top tube. Can anyone tell me more about this bike? I don't have a serial number or anything but it looks prewar to me, but I'm new at this so any help is appreciated, thanks!

image.jpg

Buy it.

That's a New Departure 2 speed hub. Very cool bit. It could be pre-war, but I would guess postwar, sometime between 1945-1948. Columbia adopted half inch pitch after the war, although a very few pre-war bikes use it (mostly three speeds, because the British were already using half inch chains in the 1930s).

That style of frame was discontinued in 1948 though, so it's definitely very old.

The hub + shifting hardware, assuming it works properly is easily worth $100 on its own. It's usually harder to find the shifter and cable than the hub itself.

The bike itself isn't really all that special, they're actually rather common and not very sought after, if it had the normal single speed it'd only be worth about $100 really. I've paid as little as $50 for one.

Since I've never come across a two speed one I'll let you juggle those values and make your own decision on worth.

HAHAHA!

I actually just picked this bike up! I was doing some research on it, not for resale; just personal. The Serial number was on the bottom by the way. G24921, which makes it a 1941 Columbia Westfield (Def Pre-War).

I loved the bike, it was in great shape and it will be used for special bike events and such. I will end up restoring it, detail the beast and hang it up in my place for me and my guests to enjoy. The DEEP PAN TROXEL BICYCLE SADDLE was a bonus, that thing was in sweet shape. I am still doing a little more research...

Ric,

Looks like a Sports Tourist model with some ballooner parts added and with the multispeed upgrade. Most have a New Departure Model D, if I recall right.

Yeah the D was the normal hub for these.

I'm assuming they paid more than $50 for this one. :mrgreen:

Back