chinese timebomb

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
this is my backup project to mess around with,during downtime with the tangerine dreamcycle! :) with the exception of the motor itself,this is a no-bucks build! recycled parts from other builds and a paint job with 3/4 of a can of leftover black primer! :wink: the motor will sit perfect in the frame of the `38 colson,just not sure what direction i`ll be going with bars and seating. tomorrow i will pull all of the frame to motor mounting studs and replace them with stainless studs.then some more test fits!anyhoo...heres where it is after about 6hrs. of fooling around! :D
DSCN1041.jpg
DSCN1042.jpg
DSCN1048.jpg
DSCN1060.jpg
DSCN1058.jpg
DSCN1063.jpg

It looks good already.That motor will just clutter up an already nice bike.....but then I love a 38 colson :roll:....The Phantom Camper

dang it....i woke up the `ol man! :lol: :lol: hey paul, come out and play! it`s getting boring around here without you.we need your wisdom! :lol:

Naw Im in the fix up my new van mode...You wouldnt like my opinion on this one anyway. I would suggest throwing that motor in white oak bayou or stick it on a late model frame that wont matter when the little noisy vibrator cracks your frame. So like my momma always said if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything. A 38 colson deserves the best of your building skills that I know you posess .....but that is just the worthless opinion of The Phantom Camper he he

you had to pull out the guilt card! :lol: anybody got an old murray monterey frame they dont want? :) guess now i`ll get it from the murray fans! :lol:

I have an old roadmaster frame I was going to chunk . It has a large dent in the bottom tube that goes from the crank to the neck . If you want to fix it with a new tube or some bondo I'm thinking its a straight frame other than that. Its yours If you want it.........The Phantom Camper

Yeah those belong to Scott I think. He lives in Spring. Long drive from you. This frame has a cut in the bottom tube.Cant figure out how he did it. Maybe ran into a harvester. The Phantom Camper Oh yeah its just the frame..no forks or crank or anything.

freshfinds001.jpg

think i`ll call scott in the morning.that heavy duty straight bar frame,would make a more sensible base for a buzzbomb! :roll: it`ll blow up eventually,might as well be on a schwinn! :lol: :lol: never considered the obvious 71 yr. old welds factor! :eek: my hats off to you and clancy both.there is always wisdom in your words! :D .....wonder what it would look like in that new 41 collegiate badged elgin,i just got? :lol: :lol: just joking! :lol:
strbar.jpg

texasbigjon said:
you had to pull out the guilt card! :lol: anybody got an old murray monterey frame they dont want? :) guess now i`ll get it from the murray fans! :lol:

I really liked all that paint caked on there, but I'm sure it will be nice when it's done. I cut up some old Murrays to make a stretch... the 60's frame way really well built, and the 80's frame was built so cruddily I couldn't even believe it. :shock: Half the welds weren't finished from the factory and I pulled the frame aprt by hand after cutting at the welds a small amount. :shock: One of those would be a good candidate for a motor if you don't want to have to worry about damaging a nice bike (This coming from a Murray fan. :D )

went out and picked up a schwinn heavy duty bike,this morning,as a more suitable starting point for this build. i`ll strip the paint off and check out the frame real good before swapping things over! :wink: so much for a no money build.guess i`ll go crazy and buy 2 cans of flat black primer! :lol: :lol:
DSCN1072.jpg
DSCN1068.jpg

AAAAhhhh very wise move grasshopper. Its is better to spend money on new bike for motor than ruin good colson for no reason. :x TPC

Have fun! I've only been riding mine for three days, and already broke it! Nothing I can'f fix though, my fault as I didn't have the chain tensioner on right. I'm fully confident that I'm going to hurt myself on the dang thing though, but it's too much fun!

There must have been a sale on those red tires in the Houston area..... However, both bikes look great to me.....

I like the Schwinn HD. Could be because I am building one as well. I saw the add in CL and was thinking about buying one for parts. Then I noticed in the next add the red one was gone. Nice bike. They are much lighter than I thought they would be, but mine doesn't have HD wheels.

Back