chain pitch problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As seen on my Krate-Ray project I built a 5 speed back wheel and have the original coaster mag front sprocket. I went out today and bought a new longer chain made for a multiple geared bike. For some reason the chain's pitch is correct on the rear gears but doesn't match up on the front sprocket. I never knew that there are different pitched 1/2" chains. Is this why there was a 5 speed mag and a coaster mag? Will the old 5 speed mag have the correct pitch? Thanks

Thanks, I guess I never knew because I never bother with derailers. So I guess the old Schwinn 5 speed "mag" sprocket has the right pitch?

I've made that mistake in both directions! Single speed chain on a derailleur and vice verse. As a matter of fact I just changed a chain last night on a long wheel base bike (about 250 links :shock: ). It had single speed chain on a 5 speed cassette, never "quite" shifted right. Does now!....And yes the 5spd mag will have the right pitch.

Thanks Kota. CCR was kind enough to sell me a 5 speed mag so hopefully my problem is solved.

Single speeds, coasters, 3 speeds use 1/8" wide chains.

Derailleur bikes use 3/32" chains.

!/8" chains will fit on the narrower 3/32" chain rings and cogs, but not the other way around.

Back