burning paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope! But if you do it, make sure you do a video. I like the stuff you build, so don't stand TOO close!

oxy-acetylene torch and a wire brush is good for paint removal.

fast eddie said:
ive heard a few stories about burning the paint off of things. dousing the subject in kerosen and lighting, letting the thing burn down to metal. anyone ever tried this?
fast eddie outty
Even if it doesn't work, it does sound like something to do on a boring Friday evening with some friends, a few brewskies, a video cam and someone with a cell phone ready to dial 911. The potential for an epic and memorable event is all there! :mrgreen:

racer32 said:
oxy-acetylene torch and a wire brush is good for paint removal.
thats the only way ive ever used fire to remove paint....just make sure you use a nuetral flame and stay a bit back so you dont heat the metal to much(you can also pick up a cheap heat gun from harbor freight for like $15 and use that to heat the steel then hit it with a wire brush.. works just as well only take a little longer)

You know while welding metal will move a bunch from the heat. Im thinking if you lit a frame on fire there is a chance you could warp it if it got too hot in one place. Buy one of those cheap $20 grinders and a $7 cup wire wheel and you can strip one before you get the fire going. :lol:

i havent tried to the wire wheel yet, ill try that next. ive used the abrasive wheels, good for small stuff or just scuffing the clear off for more paint, but not effective for an entire frame, tried the flap sanding wheel this weekend, didnt work any better or quicker than the pad, and i kept having to cut off flaps to get a good grit hitting the frame cuz it stopped being as effective, i hate stripping paint! i have a air compressor, but since i just finally invested in a real work stand i dont wanna spend the money to get the bead blast kit, sheeeesh!!
fast eddie outty

Im telling you guys this is the choice for removing paint. You can buy the grinder for $20 with a 1 year warrenty and the cup wire wheel for $7. I took all the paint off my hiawatha in about 45 minutes. Just be careful and dont get clothing caught in it.

gr1.jpg

just make sure you wear safety glasses........those little wire buggers fly out fast and will embed themselves quick(thats why i stick with the roloc discs and 80 grit paper!)

Yeah they will bite you. I looked down after a few minutes and thought they kinda hurt when they hit you and i had about five stuck in my stomach. It was kinda funny . now i wear my welding leathers to grind. :D

I use a wire wheel as well, its a little hard to get in the corners so you would have to hand sand those parts, but its the easiest and fastest way I can think of to strip paint.

And yes the little wires will stick in your clothing so watch out for them, and definetly wear glasses

Latest posts

Back