Bummer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Bought an old weathered set of Schwinn truss rods from a guy on the Schwinn forum for my 1960 Spitfire. Couldn't wait to get them!

Tried to install them last night and they ended up being about a half inch too short. :roll:

Anybody have any idea what lengths these things came in?

that is weird maybe they are for a 24 fork but i would think they would be a lot shorter than just half an inch. just make some sort of extentions that come up from the axle. rip grind and burn my friend. maybe if you put the upper part that bends down in a vice to straighten the radius a bit you could get it closer.

Rat,just tossin out ideas

Strut clamp too high on the goose neck?

Strut clamp bent too high? (bend it down)

My set of strut rods measure about 20 1/2" from the center strut bolt to the axle.

Hopefully this helps.

Took a few shots of the truss rods to show you what I'm dealing with. The way you see it now is with the bracket bent down as far as it will go. Even tried it with the fender off.

Two options I can think of....

1. Build and extension of some kind.

2. Drill a hole in the fender braces and mount them there.

100_5791.jpg

100_5795.jpg

100_5796.jpg

what about taken some flat stock and making something like this:

trussmod.jpg

It would help bring out the truss rods a bit more, on the bottom end, make them stand out some. Just an idea.

Yeah...the flat stock may be the way to go....especially when I hate to mess up the original fender braces.

Or, I could sell these and find ones that fit. :D

... Idk my man. Save them for somthing else, and Get another pair?

struts, hmmm

Save them for me! My next build is going to be a 24" Phantom!

Could be just the part I need, hmmmm hm...

Joe

Rat,I know this sounds drastic...

I cant really see by your pics,but can ya file/elongate the axle notch?

Rat Rod said:
Yeah...the flat stock may be the way to go....especially when I hate to mess up the original fender braces.

Or, I could sell these and find ones that fit. :D

Make a faux springer. Hooch probably has some of the Monarch springer pivots.

flat aluminum stock. Easy to work with and you can get it at hardware stores and maybe hobby shops... Acorn nuts.... ya just may start a new trend!!

i thought the truss rod front ends used the top bearing/cone like a springer.the one where the top cone fits over the bearing.that would give you more room.

Im gonna get my build-off bike done in a few days. The truss rods i put on it were off of a prewar girls Hiawatha and because of them coming off of a girls bike they were about an inch longer. I had to design a similar "cantilever" set up so I could combine the truss rods with the forks. If you haven't built a bracket yet wait a few days untill I get my bike done and see if the truss rods give you any ideas.

Back