building a seat! ( for Kev)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a few questions on how to build a seat. So I though I should break one down for you all to see.

Kev aka Clothspin"n" asked me to do this seat from a early model BMX seat

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

not a complicated seat so it will be good to learn from. Upon inspection the metal is in good condition. It will still get some sandblasting and some paint. More will become evedent once its open.

At first we though it was gold on top...but once we had a look under the top strap it may have been red? sunfade.....

But gold it will stay! I just recv'd to new colour swatch and there was a real cool gold carbon look... and I got the thumbs up!

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

The sides will also stay black and it will keep its white welt on top

Now that we have the plan.......... we can get started!

FW

looking really forward to this thread! That seat is going to look killer with the gold,black and white color combo! :D

Like I had said in the CCM post I was also able to do alittle more on this BMX seat

On this seat there are little tabs that hold the fabric in place...so when you go and remove the cover you must be very carful when you pull back on the tabs. More often then not they will brake! :( No problem if they do.....this one did.....we can use glue to hold the new cover in place!

IMG_2386.jpg

It was a givin that the foam would have to be replaced

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

As you can see the seat pan is very bent! this will have to be fixed before anything else

IMG_2388.jpg

the seat post clamp was also bent up so it had to be bent back! as I did this I found cracks in the metal

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

again no problem....I just welded the cracks...if you are unable your local muffler shop may be able to help you out

IMG_2391.jpg

back to the blasting cabinet!

IMG_2393.jpg

Here you go! hammered back into shape and cracks welded. plus sand blasted! :mrgreen:

IMG_2398.jpg

all that was left to be done was a little paint...satin black

IMG_2405.jpg

again I hope to have the foam cut and the cover made tomorrow....I hope! :lol:

OK we are now on the final lap! I was able to finish the seat off today along with the CCM seat !

It was now time to do the foam ...Here I used a med to firm foam to give a firm but not hard seat when sat on and then I wrapped it again in 1/4 foam to help give the cover some life and hide any hard points that may be on the pan!

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

I then started to cut and make the cover...I use the old pattern to help in this ...but I still made some changes here and there to help the seat cover fit better now that we have changed the foam

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

because I do not like the tabs I have elected to use glue...I find it gives me greater control on how I would like the new cover to sit. But first I masked of the area I did not want and glue to be using tape!

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

As you can see it's all about the details......even though you may never see under the seat or look...somebody may!!! so it does mater!!!!!

last but not least the strap!

IMG_2422.jpg

So what do you think have a look!

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2452.jpg

looks great in the sun! hope you are happy with it Kev I really like how it came out!

Just a thought on that seat. It's missing the "BMX" lettering. I've seen a guy apply white letters on a black seat, a bit like what's missing on that one. It was a Vespa seat, that has white letters on the back that say Piaggio in a bold capital font. He used an adesive stencil with the letters cut out, and some special (?) white fabric paint. It was easy and worked great. Again, just a thought.

Hugo

Back