Building a quickie Rat Spaceliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Weeks till the Drifters Rat rod show in Pittsburgh, so I'm throwing together a new Rat. I had this ratty Fleetwing, but I recentley got a rat trap springer for it. I reversed the dropouts and welded new dropouts on the rear about 3 inches higher. I wanted to rake the front, but I want to retain the tank light, so thats the limit. I can't go radical low because I want it to be useable, and their show is at a drive-in too, so theres bumps. I have an old seat just sitting there, but the fixed location will be close. I painted the front wheel classic red and threw in a new tube, but retained the bridgestone WW. The back will be red too, but dunno if its getting a beach cruiser tire yet. I have low bars now, but I may go with apes. Excuse the pic, still using the phone :roll:

FleetwingRat.jpg

I'm 20 miles North of Da Burgh.

Updates. Fatter Beach cruiser rear tire, Seat position finalized, rear fender mounted in new position almost dragging the ground. I still think I'll go to apes.

Fleetwing2.jpg

Fleetwing1.jpg

That drop is awsome makes that tank light look right! Is the front drooped also and how?

thats a great idea about the dropouts i have a spaceliner myself just no tank and extras just the fenders and chainguard. awesome move.

looks sweet! needs a cool chainring though. :wink:

Heres an update. The only small sprocket and cranks I had to use were a cheap set off a cheapo girlie bike. I welded the crank to the sprocket since it was fixed by a real weak set up instead of the old school dowel. I threw on some primer and all the sudden it looked good. I tried a few guards, but it looks best exposed. I went with apes too! I like...whataya youns think?

Ratty.jpg

It was pretty simple. I had saved some large drop outs from an older Huffy. I welded them above and behind the original location. Being able to do that while leaving the stock location in place allowed me to have excellent reference measurements. After I welded those on, I cut the top bars, heated them, bent them, and welded them in place. I coulda heated them up further for a more gentle bend, but I wanted it to look like I dropped it! Sorry the pic stinks, I still haven't replaced my dead camera.

Dropoutmod.jpg

hey, thanks for the pic and explanation, Floyd! i couldn't quite make out what you had done in the other photos.

i love that bike. the sum effect of the smallish alterations that you made is just really cool somehow.

Back