Bed Liner Paint...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried using (truck) bed liner paint/finish on their frames ? I've seen it used on motorcycles,it gives the finish something between a hammered or kinda textured look. Definately would provide a "bullet proof" finish. Also comes in rattle can and colors other than black. If you've tried this, can you provide pics and a review / likes / dislikes...

That's a good idea.

I've also thought about painting a frame with POR-15 before.

That stuff is as hard as a rock once it dries...no scratches there, ha ha!

http://www.por15.com

POR15GallonQuartPint_300.jpg

bedliner sucks bad to use trust me . the results are nbot pretty or even cool ratified looking.

you want the textured paint do not use that bedliner stuff.

they sell tectured paint - actually ive used high temp engine tectured paint ( do not use the cheapo stuff though) on my motorcycles- works great.

por-15 is great stuff! thats a definate positive there.

only prob i see with the duplicolor bedliner stuff ias 1- it takes forever to settle and dry.
2- it doesnt give an even coverage flow unless you use alot more than 1 or 2 cans. takes a few times over to get that "just right" look.

itll work though.

but the best stuff for a texterured paint on the cheap is the high temp stuff- flows nicely gives even coat and when it drys its like a rock.

as soon as i can remembere the name of the paint ill post it...

only thing about por-15 is that it need to be over stuff thats really rusty(i knew a guy who did the floor pan on his car with it once....... sanded with 80 grit and all the proper steps but it failed because it wasnt rusty :shock: ) did a set of old steel exhaust manifolds once and they held up quite well even being driven every day for years

I was thinking of putting spray-on undercoating inside some fenders I'm working on. Has anyone tried that?

sensor said:
only thing about por-15 is that it need to be over stuff thats really rusty(i knew a guy who did the floor pan on his car with it once....... sanded with 80 grit and all the proper steps but it failed because it wasnt rusty :shock: ) did a set of old steel exhaust manifolds once and they held up quite well even being driven every day for years

thats completely untrue. You can use POR-15 on brand new metal. I would wager money that your friend didn't prep the surface well enough, or left it dirty. if you buy a por-15 kit, it includes metalready and marinecleen (depending on what you're painting)
I speak from experience on restoring 6 cars and using 100's of dollars of por-15

he didnt use the metal prep(just had the black stuff)
this was also YEARS ago when i was in school learning how to do body work.......
who knows.....the only time i ever used it was to see if it would hold up to exhaust heat and it did
side note* the undercoating works great ive done lots of quarter panels,door shells,decklids and such never had any problems

The
POR-15 will fade unless it is top coated.
Same with the bedliner just check out a truck with and old spray in bedliner. I guess it could allways be resprayed.

Back