Beach Racer/who knows what.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started building this Schwinn Speedster that I found at the dump:
1.jpg

I made a little progress today:
6.jpg

7.jpg

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Unchained said:
What size wheels are those? Sweet looking bike!

26 inches. I might have some old wheels from my mountain bike that I might put on with some balloon tires (if the tires fit).

I have the bike in the basement trying to hide the buildup from my wife (it's a birthday present for her). I'm doing dishes and all of a sudden I hear and feel a loud boom!!! The front tire blew.... Anyone know if I can fit wider tires on the bike?

The only thing that'll fit those Schwinn rims is a Schwinn S5/S6 size tire.

To replace the one that blew, you'll need to find the 26x1-3/8" tires that show a 597mm
bead seat diameter. Huffy, most Raleighs, Columbias, etc, used 26x1-3/8" tires that
were 590mm. It's confusing, but it was a Schwinn design thing that was fine as long
as they ruled the business. Now that the technology has moved on, these old ones are
sort of left behind. There aren't a lot of choices.

Basically you can get blackwall or gumwall in a touring tire only. I'd recommend getting
them by mailorder from Memory Lane (http://www.memorylane-classics.com) or Niagara Cycle.
(http://www.niagaracycle.com). Either should know exactly what you need for your S-5 rims.
(look around the knurled area on the rim and you should find the stamp Schwinn Tubular S-5).

Other suppliers here on Rat Rods can help you as well, but I bet your local bike shop will
have a hard time with it unless they employ some good bike nuts.

Other options would include going to a ATB rim with a street tire, maybe a 26x1.75 or 1.95.
I don't think you'll fit much bigger tires. Now, really you should be thinking about selling that
whole thing to BlakeC on here... those camelback Speedster frames are really cool!

BTW we were treated to a loud boom the other night, when Cody was mounting some tires
for me. At 40 psi this Pyramid tube just exploded. Inside the tire! With nothing wrong
except a defective, brand new, made-in-China piece of junk tube. We were both a little
shocked afterwards, it was loud.

--Rob

purple98tj said:
I have the bike in the basement trying to hide the buildup from my wife (it's a birthday present for her). I'm doing dishes and all of a sudden I hear and feel a loud boom!!! The front tire blew.... Anyone know if I can fit wider tires on the bike?

Thanks for the info....I didn't know that my choices were that limited. Hopefully my next find will be a bike that can take larger tires.

Back