Anyone Know Hercules Bicycles?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only pic this guy has. Has the head badge. $30. Anyone ever heard of it? Are they rare? Year? Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Hercules.jpg

Hercules is an English bike that was made by Raleigh. I wouldn't say they are real rare since I have seen a lot around but I have never seen a Hercules with a cantilever frame... If it has the original wheels on it the rear will have a Sturmey Archer hub with the date on it. If your looking for your next build then I think you have a good place to start for $30 (or maybe $20 :D )

That looks like a Birmingham, England made Hercules, before Raleigh bought out Hercules in 1960. Montgomery Ward offered those bikes, I've seen the 1960 ad for that bike, and I have that frame somewhere at my brother's place. 2 top tubes with one lower bar, like a reverse cantilever frame. Should have "H" on the chainwheel. I'd say they are fairly uncommon, most Hercules' are diamond frames made by Raleigh in the 60's and 70's, said to be good, but not as good as Raleigh. Yours is a Hercules made Hercules, so I would say it's good quality. $30 sounds like a good deal.

I found a pic and some history from threespeedbikes webpage:

20r6whs.jpg

http://threespeedbicycles.com/Hercules_ ... ycles.html

These style canti frame bikes were Europe's answer to America's middleweight bikes. Of course, the middleweights were in response to the imported 3 speed touring bikes that killed off the Ballooners in the first place! $30 is a good deal! -Adam

Back