Anybody know what this is?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this vintage bike way back in the hills of northern Alabama last week, as a cheap starting point for a project. It doesn't have a headbadge, and I can't find any serial numbers in any of the usual places. Here's what I've been able to learn so far:

- Obviously the seat and paint aren't original
- the front sprocket matches one I've found pictures of on a '70s Ross Europa
- the bottom bracket isn't a solid piece. The metal overlaps on the bottom and is held in place by two spot welds. There's no serial number on the bottom.
- I can't find any Ross standard bikes with this double upper crosstube arrangement anywhere online.
- I was told on another site that this is a Ross, and the distinctive holes in the head are to hold a tank with dual headlights.
- The lower dual crosstubes are brazed to the uppers in one spot. One has broken loose, so I'd say this thing was very cheaply made.
- I can't find a chain guard that matches this one anywhere online.

Here's a link to the flickr photostream where I've posted pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45725066@N04/17193131072/

Any help you folks can give me would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - I'm new here, and any constructive criticism on posting requests is more than welcome.

- Dan Hollenbaugh

Yep that's probably a Ross. I had a 66 model with the same frame. Serial number should begin with an R, followed by the year in one or 2 digits.

Yep that's probably a Ross. I had a 66 model with the same frame. Serial number should begin with an R, followed by the year in one or 2 digits.
Where is the serial number? I've looked in all the normal places and can't find it.

edit: It should be on the rear dropout, left side. It may be hidden by the paint.

Last edited:
Back