any idea what this is?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
00R0R_2CnEHg7LkUr_600x450.jpg
I am thinking about going to look at this tomorrow and from what I am told it is a J C Higgins from Sears but that's it. I am new to the pre and post war era bikes so I have no clue what it is worth and they want me to make an offer. Can you help?

Something like that, I'd probably try to get for $50, no more than $75, unless you really want it for yourself. I tend to look at bikes in terms of what I could get back out of them if I had to. On that one, you could probably pull $25 from the frame, $10 for the chain guard, $25 for the fenders if they're straight, maybe $10-$20 a wheel if you're lucky, so you could recoup your money if you had to at $50-$75.

My general rule for buying old bikes is start around $50 for a nice base bike, then if it has a tank add $25, truss rods add $25, skirts add $25, drop stand add $25, springer fork, depending on the type, add $25 to $50...add up the numbers and I think you're in the ballpark for not losing money if you buy it for whatever the total is, or less. So if you come across a decent bike that has a tank, springer front, skirts and a drop stand you're probably not going to lose out much if you get it for $175 or under.

It's a 50s era Higgins. It's been repainted along the way, so it's tough to tell what model it started out as though. There isn't a springer fork or anything to suggest it's more than a mid-level model. So don't fall for any talk of it being a Colorflow at one time. The fenders seem fairly straight and the wraparound braces are not too mangled. The dropcenter rims good good too. These frames/forks can hold fat tires, 24x3 or 26x2.35, if you're thinking of customizing it.
I would try to keep the price under a $100.

Good luck.
Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it's Murray built. Hard to be sure with that pic, but looks like possibly modern rims. May just be silver paint over rust. I'd sooner spend 100 on that than a Chinese coaster at the store, but not the 300 some people are asking for that sort of thing. Try 75.

Well I offered $100 and he was at $150. He wasn't sure what he had so I'll let him stew on it for a couple of days and see if I cave in first or he does. Not really sure if I need another bike, lol. But I then found this very nearby.
00r0r_bT1sZ6wj3Nq_600x450.jpg
Selller says its a 50s girls 20" horn tank Schwinn. Any clue if this is a decent description? Is it worth $50? Never seen one like this before and think it is kind of cool.

Well I offered $100 and he was at $150. He wasn't sure what he had so I'll let him stew on it for a couple of days and see if I cave in first or he does. Not really sure if I need another bike, lol. But I then found this very nearby.
Selller says its a 50s girls 20" horn tank Schwinn. Any clue if this is a decent description? Is it worth $50? Never seen one like this before and think it is kind of cool.
it would be a good donor bike for the wheels. and if you know how to weld you could mount that tank upside down on a boys frame (i think).
the wheels look decent and would be worth the 50 alone imo.
but i wouldn't go much higher girls bikes are not worth a lot at all and they are a tough sell.

Well I offered $100 and he was at $150. He wasn't sure what he had so I'll let him stew on it for a couple of days and see if I cave in first or he does. Not really sure if I need another bike, lol. But I then found this very nearby. Selller says its a 50s girls 20" horn tank Schwinn. Any clue if this is a decent description? Is it worth $50? Never seen one like this before and think it is kind of cool.

Not a Schwinn; looks like a cheap Euro version of an american bike. Stelber, Ross? Unless you see your dream part on one of these bikes, they'd both be easy to walk away from for me. Nice, original paint Higgins turn up for 150$ if you like that first bike.

If I wanted it for myself, I'd go $100.oo
Cool fenders, rack, and got the look.
But, resale is going to be tough to make any money wkith the repaint.

"20 cruisers are cool step - through or not.

I ended up getting the blue girls bike. It is actually a 24" and when I ran the serial number it said it is a 1957 Schwinn. However it never said what model it was, just sent me to the 1957 schwinn catalog page. Any clues?

I ended up getting the blue girls bike. It is actually a 24" and when I ran the serial number it said it is a 1957 Schwinn. However it never said what model it was, just sent me to the 1957 schwinn catalog page. Any clues?
Just a coincedence, nothing Schwinn about it. Definitely an import, likely from Daimler/Puch/Steyr, and possibly imported by Stelber. -Adam

You guys are right on. It does have an old schwinn seat but it does look just like that picture. So school me on Stelber, are they worth messing with? I do think it looks neat so I'll probably just clean it up and get it rideable.

Latest posts

Back