Always have a Plan B.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

or C D or E...

Yeah so Plan A didnt quite work out for my DFBO inspired bike.I'm not bummed.I think Plan B is BETTER...(so far)

My Grandfather once told me 'Do the best you can with what you have'

Words I still live by 40 years later!

Man, I totally sympathize.

I've been working on my Sears projecttonight....and my initial plan was to use a standard springer fork. Well, that was the plan....until tonight when I tried to install it..... I knew that the stock springer tube length was too short....so I had previously ordered a longer threaded one. Well, neither one will fit...no matter what I try......the spring bolt ring just won't seat properly with all of the other headset installed.

I had considered cutting the frame's headtube down to see if it would work that way.......but after really evaluating everything...I still don't think that it would fit.....even if I whacked an inch out of it :cry:

So my plan B? Just reuse the original fixed forks.......not as flashy as this springer would be.....but hey, whatever works...... :oops:

TexasXXX said:

I've been working on my Sears projecttonight....and my initial plan was to use a standard springer fork. Well, that was the plan....until tonight when I tried to install it..... I knew that the stock springer tube length was too short....so I had previously ordered a longer threaded one. Well, neither one will fit...no matter what I try......the spring bolt ring just won't seat properly with all of the other headset installed.

I had considered cutting the frame's headtube down to see if it would work that way.......but after really evaluating everything...I still don't think that it would fit.....even if I whacked an inch out of it :cry:

So my plan B? Just reuse the original fixed forks.......not as flashy as this springer would be.....but hey, whatever works...... :oops:

When I bought a cheap springer they said I had to buy their headset to go with it. I ended up cutting the steer tube down and using their headset kit and it all worked well.

Where did you buy the parts?

Rat Rod said:
TexasXXX said:

When I bought a cheap springer they said I had to buy their headset to go with it. I ended up cutting the steer tube down and using their headset kit and it all worked well.

Where did you buy the parts?

Steve, I've had this springer for a few years....it was pulled from a flea market bike......it's just your standard "El Cheapo" type of springer fork. I still had all of my Sears headset,bearing cups, and etc. That's what I was mocking up with......but this stock length springer headtube won't even make it thru the top of the upper bearing cup....let alone trying to thread anything on it.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions........ I really wanted this to work..... I'll try to snap some pics later tonight of what I have....show you what I'm dealing with.

I'll start my own gallery post for the build tonight.....

Brian, can you include a shot from the side showing the misaligned springer ring bolt? It sounds like you may have run into the same problem I did a while back.

-Mp

Hey MP and Steve, I just got the pics uploaded and started my own gallery posting concerning this Sears project.......sorry I took so long...been a crazy fast paced weekend.

Anyhow, check out the pics, and shoot me some feedback :wink:

Back