Accelerate Rust?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoeyMac said:
find a nearby lake. Put your bike at the bottom.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
L8 EM

Alright, everybody take notes. This stuff is SUPER SECRET.........not really but I want you to feel like you are getting something special.......

Okay, the absolute fastest way I know is muriatic acid on bare metal. Just spray it and walk away. It works SO GOOD, however, that once you get what you want it has to be chemically neutralized with baking soda and water or it will continue to eat your metal. You can expect a solid coating of rust the next day.

You can create some pretty convincing rust in about an hour or so with a mix of salt and vinegar. Spray it onto the bare metal, and heat with a torch as you go. Spray and heat, spray and heat. This is essentially a heat patina, which will have a whitish tint to it. The nice thing about it, though, is that in about a week you can expect a beautiful, even coat of rust, free of any odd colors.

If you can afford to wait a little longer, straight vinegar does the trick. Spray or brush it on, leave it to dry, and then spray it with a hose. Repeat this process several times a day for a couple of days until you get what you want. The same technique also works well with liquid fertilizer (nitrogen) but with fuel costs so high that stuff has gone through the roof!!!!

Keep in mind that the cleaner your metal is to start with, the better these techniques will work. Mostly I use them on steel that comes from the factory with the protective coating on it, and the times stated take that into account. Hope this helps, and everybody watch my RRBBO3 thread for the REAL secret stuff....

urine. Check out the steel divider in a lot of mens rooms, severly rusted. Consumption of beer helps speed the process.

Boneshaker said:
Alright, everybody take notes. This stuff is SUPER SECRET.........not really but I want you to feel like you are getting something special.......

Okay, the absolute fastest way I know is muriatic acid on bare metal. Just spray it and walk away. It works SO GOOD, however, that once you get what you want it has to be chemically neutralized with baking soda and water or it will continue to eat your metal. You can expect a solid coating of rust the next day.

You can create some pretty convincing rust in about an hour or so with a mix of salt and vinegar. Spray it onto the bare metal, and heat with a torch as you go. Spray and heat, spray and heat. This is essentially a heat patina, which will have a whitish tint to it. The nice thing about it, though, is that in about a week you can expect a beautiful, even coat of rust, free of any odd colors.

If you can afford to wait a little longer, straight vinegar does the trick. Spray or brush it on, leave it to dry, and then spray it with a hose. Repeat this process several times a day for a couple of days until you get what you want. The same technique also works well with liquid fertilizer (nitrogen) but with fuel costs so high that stuff has gone through the roof!!!!

Keep in mind that the cleaner your metal is to start with, the better these techniques will work. Mostly I use them on steel that comes from the factory with the protective coating on it, and the times stated take that into account. Hope this helps, and everybody watch my RRBBO3 thread for the REAL secret stuff....

Acid...maybe too fast and unsafe. Now I like the vinegar/salt one, but I dont have a torch. How about vinegar+salt+sunlight+time...same result? Thanks again for info, HR.

Latest posts

Back