A Couple Of Choppers I Have Been Doing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Natrona Heights, PA- 20 Miles NE of Pittsburgh
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of choppers I have been working on. When I decided to build something, I liked this style of bike. After spending so much time looking at what every one else is building, I want to try a low stretched out one. But for now, I have these done.

There is a story that goes with this. Some of you know I am trying to open my own shop. I thought it would be really cool to be able to sell chopper and low rider parts. I needed to place a minimum 1st order to get an account open so I bought a bunch of stuff that I wouldn't normally buy. I had a couple of old frames I wanted to do something with. Then I found another supplier that carries much more stuff, so I got an account there too. I was hoping to be able to sell semi-custom-made-to-order choppers. I ordered every thing I needed to assemble a bike, right down to the repainted frame. I then put it together as a bare bones bike to show what the base model would look like. The problem is that although the parts are cheap, by the time you get everything you need, it adds up. I don't think I will be able to sell very many of these around my area.

This is the base model I came up with, rides very nice. It is made up of only the cheapest parts I could find. I wanted to up sell from there.

102_2742.jpg

Then I had this old Huffy frame sitting around so I used up some of the other parts I bought and put this one together. It turned out better then I thought. Looks great. I live in Steeler country, so this one may just sell.
102_2749.jpg

Since I had my base model covered, I wanted to build one that would be a higher end model. As part of my first order, I bought a springer front end. I then saw the post someone had about making their own fiberglass tank. I had to give it a try. This is something I hope to never try again. It turned out nice, just way to much work.
102_2744.jpg

I decided to go all out and add disc brakes on the front.
102_2746.jpg

The bike is not perfect. One issue I had was when I tried out the rear wheel, the bike sat so low the pedals hit. So I went with a 24" one. When I ordered the spokes, I was off a little, which I didn't know until midway through lacing in the 3-speed hub. I took it partially apart and tried a 4-cross instead, problem solved, I thought. I got all the way finished before I noticed when I started to put it together again, I must have twisted the hub the wrong way. So now the valve is not in the right place. There was no way I was going to do it over again. It will just have to stay. The other thing I am not very happy with is the paint. It is black rustoleum metallic. I wish I would have tried it on something else first. It is a little grayer then I would have liked. The long springer front end is a little hard to ride too. I think it will just take some time to get used to it.
102_2747.jpg

102_2748.jpg

102_2752.jpg

102_2741.jpg

What do you think?

I forgot, I wanted to post a pic of what I started with for the skull bike. It is an old 52 Schwinn frame that I was going to restore. Before I made up my mind, I cut the front off and welded on an upside down head tube off a Huffy mountain bike. That pretty much made up my mind. It was just the right style to do what I wanted with it. Something else that doesn't really show up, I put on grips and levers that have skulls on them and skull valve caps too. Kind of lame, but it was just what I was thinking up when I planned it.

This is how it looked when someone gave it to me-
102_2711.jpg

I sold the chain guard on ebay, scraped most of the rest except for the frame.

The yellow bike, which I don't have a before picture of, said "WOODHAVEN" on the chain guard. I just stripped the paint, hit it with the yellow rustoleum plus clear, and that's it. It was a muddy brown color that came off very easy with one coat of stripper.

FunkyStickman said:
I like the frame on the red chopper you built, that's really nice!

It is a nice frame. I get them from http://www.fnrco.com
It comes in several colors, very nice metallic paint-
32781 Chopper Frame Black.
32782 Chopper Frame Blue.
32783 Chopper Frame Red.
32784 Chopper Frame Burgundy.
32786 Chopper Frame Chrome.
32788 Chopper Frame Purple.
32789 Chopper Frame Green.

The Chrome one is a little more money. They sell some other nice frames too. I have seen places selling these frames for $80 or more. I can sell them for around $65. But like I said, once all the parts are added up, the price is a little high for my area. A completed bike like the red one, I would need to get around $300 just to break even on it. Some places, that might fly, I am not sure about here. Time will tell.

The Limo frames they sell look nice, too! Very nice, I hope you can make everything float. I know the bike shop here in my hometown shut down, but if they had made their presence known, who knows... bring your bikes to car shows, etc. and get the word out! Flyers, radio ads, you name it.

Looking good man, I don't think you'll have too many problems selling, good advice already given, but don't forget the internet! A decent website would help with sales.
Also you should put rubber stops on the chopper forks to protect your tank. Sooner or later, the front end will flop over hard, and you dont want all that hard work you put into the tank undone. Riding a chop will become second nature before you know it, take it from me :wink:
These are the stops i'm talking about;
front.jpg

At just over 9 ft, with a 26 inch 144 spoke front wheel, red's front is flop heavy at low speed;
menred.jpg

Rick

rick74304 said:
Also you should put rubber stops on the chopper forks to protect your tank. Sooner or later, the front end will flop over hard, and you don't want all that hard work you put into the tank undone. Rick

Thanks!

I put the rubber pieces on the yellow one, but they are really just fork boots. I was planning on some sort of protection for the tank. I put some steel plates under the fiberglass for support, but it was hard to judge exactly where to put them and I missed by a little bit. I was going to drill and screw a rubber bumper to the side like is on my son's dirt bike. I like the pieces you used. The boots would not look right with the springer. I will come up with something, hopefully before I do any damage. The first test will be Sunday. Planning a Father's Day Ride.

Back