87? Giant built schwinn cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
found what I think is a 87' Giant built Schwinn cruiser. its a 5 speed. looks to be all original except seat? I paid 65 bucks for it. rides real nice. cleaning it up now. are these bikes worth anything?

Nice riders and good quality if Giant built. Probably not worth much more than you paid for it.

Agreed, the Giant made bikes are good quality. I have a chromoly steel 1999 Schwinn Searcher made by Giant that I love. Value I have no idea but I paid the same for my Searcher as your did for your cruiser via Craigslist. Ride it and enjoy. Post some pics after cleanup if you can.

Here is a link to Schwinn catalogs. http://www.trfindley.com/pg_schwinn_cats.htm

I was able to ID the year of my Searcher via them. I briefly looked at the 87 catalog but didn't see a model that exactly matched yours. I'm guessing it could be a later model bike.

I would edit that mans social security number out of your second to last picture. If he is still alive it's very dangerous to have that on the internet as I'm sure you're aware. People use to put their social number on many items of value back in the day. Quite a few vintage radios I own have a former owners name and social on them. I always edit them out when doing pictures and video of those items to be safe.

thx nagent. I was trying to show the Schwinn app giant sticker. didn't even think about that ssn. had to delete entire post...couldn't figure out how to remove the 1 pic

I believe you could have went into the edit function of the post and just remove the link for the one pic. You can always repost the pics in this thread and leave out the one, or edit the one pic and repost them all. Let us know what you figure out for the year. It's a good looking cantilever frame cruiser.

Looking through the catalogs they seem incomplete for cruisers in the late 1980's. Some of the years didn't show any cruisers including 1987. Cantilever cruisers in the 90's are shown with a different fork and head badge than your bike. The few I could find pictured in those catalogs in the 80's did have the fork like yours. Here is a page from 1986 that lists the Cruiser 5 in a blue color and with what looks like the same old style head badge. http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1981_1990/1986_crsr_03.html
Not sure if that is the same blue as your bike but it seems late 80's, and quite possibly 87, would be the time period for your bike

Most welcome. They listed your Cruiser 5 in Azure Blue for 86 but didn't show a pic in the catalog. They did show a little of a womens Cruiser on that page in the color. It looks like a lighter blue than yours. My best guess is yours fits in the 86 to 89 range. I couldn't find a catalog with the 87 to 89 cruisers.

DB, No rear brakes? I have a 1980 bike with drum on the
rear. And it's heavy bike to stop on the flats.

I removed the rear brakes to fix them. they have the wrong cable housing. it was black and way too long.

Back