70's Raleigh Tire help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just snagged this bike from "Gold Street Customs" and need any and all info you can share. I'm not sure on exact model, nor year. I need mainly tire/tube size so I can order fresh of both. We think they are 700 x 22, but seems like 700 x 23 is a bit more common. Can anyone shed some light?

12510001.jpg

deorman said:
Should be interchangeable, check for an ISO#. 622 is common 700c. 630 is 27" (It looks like 27" to me, but hard to tell from here. :? )

"The rims are stamped 700c which is a common size for road bikes and it takes the presta valve tube, the tires that are on it are old racing slicks that have the gum wall and the material is so old and frayed that I can't get an exact size , best guess would be 700x 22" -Gold Street

When that bike was built, tires made for 700c rims (iso 622mm) mostly came in two widths 7ooc/25 and 700c/28. The second number is the tire width (close to) in mm. I would recomend 23's if you want to roll fast and handle quick. If you want a little more durabilty try to find some 28's (not so common anymore). I would try to stay within those widths. Nice bike, drop the reflectors and those lazy brake levers, wrap those bars with some cloth tape and ride!

I`d recommend 700X28 especially if you`re not used to a road "racing" bike ;) . Remember, you`ve got to run a fairly high tire pressure...

Back