700c Frame Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably the safest bet it to find a frame that came with 27 inch wheels. Varsity, suburban, traveler all came with 27. 27 inch rims are 630mm diameter and 700c rims are 622mm diameter. So you will actually be going down 4mm in radius. That not only allows for frame clearance, but you can likely also re-use the brakes by moving the pads down 4mm.

Probably the safest bet it to find a frame that came with 27 inch wheels. Varsity, suburban, traveler all came with 27. 27 inch rims are 630mm diameter and 700c rims are 622mm diameter. So you will actually be going down 4mm in radius. That not only allows for frame clearance, but you can likely also re-use the brakes by moving the pads down 4mm.
I was actually thinking more of a cantilever cruiser frame. I'm going for the big bmx cruiser look with 700c or 29er wheels and tires. I like 700c x 38 size tires.

I was actually thinking more of a cantilever cruiser frame. I'm going for the big bmx cruiser look with 700c or 29er wheels and tires. I like 700c x 38 size tires.
I've been riding 70s Schwinns exclusively on 700C/622mm + 28mm tires with an inch or two to spare, (front or rear).
myBikeWorkshop.jpeg
But my current 70s AMF build fits the same setup and I scoped out my 70s Raleigh to do something like what you're talking about. Looks to fit. I'm hoping to squeeze 40s in there.
IMG_2850.jpeg

measured from the bottom of the fender with rock hard/half flat tires... 40mm is close.
IMG_2922.jpeg

waiting on stock to replenish..
shield_700x40c_sahara.jpg

Last edited:
I've thought about just buying some used SE 29" rims (found a set locally for $100), 700x38 tires and a chain to swap onto my Schwinn Heavy Duti when I feel like it, instead of building a complete bike as funds will be limited until November. After measuring, I'll have enough room for the 29s.

I read somewhere that some prewar bikes could use 26 or 28 inch wheels. I was told the Snyder fastbacks (aka ZEP) could be had with 28" wheels. I have one of these bikes and some 700c wheels. I'll try to check it out after work.

Thank you sir. The effort is most appreciated!
Couldn't get to the bike to change out a wheel but did some measuring. The wheelI have has a 700x35 tire. It looks close, but with a long enough chain it looks like it could work on the rear as the frame has rear facing drop outs. The fork would need to be changed.
The bike has 26 x 2.35 tires on it. The skinny 700 × 38 tires might look out of place.

Latest posts

Back