7 Speed Stick shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the shifter today and yes, it will work with Sturmey Archer as well SRAM. I'm still waiting for the mounting bracket and need to install whichever gearset I end up with.

boxkars_shifter_02.jpg

NicksGarage said:
I got the shifter today and yes, it will work with Sturmey Archer as well SRAM. I'm still waiting for the mounting bracket and need to install whichever gearset I end up with.

boxkars_shifter_02.jpg

that looks really nice

MIGZ said:
NicksGarage said:

that looks really nice

I'm still waiting for some parts to show up so I can install it and the hub. Hopefully will have everything this week.

I've seen photos of these new shifters mounted and it looks like the cable comes out at a different angle than the tube the shifter mounts to. I'm not sure if I like that. But, if its the only game in town then I guess you gotta live with it. Looks like its made well anyways.

Dorian said:
I've seen photos of these new shifters mounted and it looks like the cable comes out at a different angle than the tube the shifter mounts to. I'm not sure if I like that. But, if its the only game in town then I guess you gotta live with it. Looks like its made well anyways.

Yes, the angle of the cable is not ideal for mounting on a tube frame. They were designed to fit his frameless bikes. I'll ask him if he would consider drilling them differently to work better on a tube mount.

NicksGarage said:
Dorian said:

Yes, the angle of the cable is not ideal for mounting on a tube frame. They were designed to fit his frameless bikes. I'll ask him if he would consider drilling them differently to work better on a tube mount.

I hope there is a fix for this, it just kind of looks like the cable exit angle was an afterthought, even if it wasnt. I'm sure people would like to mount them in the same way as the old banana bikes on the top tube. I personally think the cable exit angle should match the in-line direction of the tube the shifter is mounted on. Maybe its an easy fix? I think those old Firebike shifters had the cable angle going straight to match the the mounting tube?

Interesting discussion on the cable exit angle. What I had in mind when designing it was a teardrop shape like an S&S air filter on a Harley and the cable exit works with that if you mount it under the top tube on a welded tab. I just made a batch of 35 in steel and put them up on the website today. http://www.hotrodbicycles.com/accessories/custom-mounts/weld-on-mounting-tab.html
There's also some images from my CAD system showing it on a tube frame. These tabs are over-sized so they can be cut down or coped at different angles as needed. This is how I envisioned the shifter being mounted and that way the cable tucks up nicely underneath, and the top tube stays clear for custom paint or pin-striping. It's all in what kind of look you're going for, and not everyone has a raw frame they are building up, so the clamps are available for most sizes between 7/8" and 1 3/8." Point taken though. I'm always looking for ways to improve it.

Forgot one very important consideration on the cable angle. The upward angle is critical for mounting it vertically. Let's say the cable were to exit parallel to a horizontal tube, when you turn it 90 degrees to mount vertically, the shift lever also turns 90 degrees towards the cable exit/ adjustment point and compromises the throw of the lever. Basically, it would work for a 3 speed vertically, but would not have the range you need for a 7 or 8. Based on this thread, I'm looking at a deluxe (full round, same dia. as the shifter) horizontal-only clamp for tubes up to 1.26" (32mm) O.D. with a 20 degree rotation back so the cable is more in line with the tube. It would cost more, but if there's a demand for that muscle bike look, we can build 'em.

Rat Rod said:
Nick, that shifter looks perfect on that bike....such a clean install.

Thanks, I also have to thank Rooski for his advice on the wheel lacing (my first time), Jeff at Boxkars for making the custom bracket, and PeeWee at Electra bikes for having a great sale that allowed me to afford the 8-speed hub. The shifter was an extravagance but I can't imagine it any other way now. I spent some time last night shortening the extra long front brake cable and just need a couple clips to manage the routing.

Back