7/8' Worksman stem?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Guys,
I need a little help here.
I just bought the nicest Worksman fork from fidel rambo (thanks Drew) to retro fit my Monark to except a 24x3 Kenda Kraze (there's PLENTY of room now!) :D.

It's a beautiful fork, excellent craftsmanship, except, I didn't pay attention to the fact that it's a 7/8" steering tube.
What?? :shock:
I didn't even know they made them that size! Now my really cool dual BMX stem won't fit AND my wife is gonna kill me! :mrgreen:

Does anyone know where I can get a stem for this unit? OR have an idea how to remedy this (other than getting another fork). Do you think I could bolt a 1" threadless stem to it?

Any help would be appreciated,

Dr. T

How old is the fork? What size is your stem? 22.2mm or 21.1mm(13/16")?

It is not advisable to bolt a threadless stem over the threaded portion.

Clancy it was a brand new fork . I ran into that alot that is alot bigger. I can go check the size on maybe one I have.
Mine is 24.30 mm or 24.40mm I think the ones on a Schwinn Heavy duti are the same size. Those stems won't fit anything else

Yeah I'm messed up if he is saying its a 7/8 tube then it will be really small and I thought Worksman and Schwinn were the same with really big ones. My mistake

Thanks cman and Uncle Stretch
The fork is brand new.
Worksmanfork.jpg

I'm not sure of the inside diameter, the outside is 7/8" versus the traditional 1" or 1 1/8". I saw some old Schwinn and BMX stems online that claim to be 7/8", will they fit?

Right now, my options are to find an acceptable stem for this fork or scrap it, buy a 26" and run a 26X2.125 tire on the original Monark.

DANG! I REALLY want to run that Kraze up front!

Thanks,
Dr. T

The Stem you have should have a size imprinted the quill portion. It will either read 21.1 or 22.2. This is important to determine which way you need to go.

I doubt Worksman uses anything but one of the standard sizes listed above. You could always call them.

Re: 7/8' Worksman stem? - correction 7/8" steerer tube

cman,
I checked the stem, no numbers on it, just and 'insert' line and a Made in Japan stamp.
I called Worksman, they said a 55A stem will fit. They quoted me $12.60 + shipping.

Drew (the member I bought it from) said he had it mate to a Wald, so I'm gonna swing by the local BMX shop to see if i can find something there.

Cheers!
Rob

Well, I finally swung by my local BMX shop (BoneShaker's BMX) and picked up a used 21.1 Wald stem. So, it's fixed, to bad I couldn't use the cool 4 bolt BMX stem I had, oh well, at now I can FINALLY ride the bike!

Thanks for everybody's input/advice.

Dr. T

Well DR T one good thing about bike parts is if you dont use them on this build they will work on the next one. Can't have too many extra bike parts. :D

Back