61 Columbia Fire Bolt Black & White

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0733.jpg

I had posted this bike a little while back in fresh finds. The front fork was bent pretty good and the chrome on the wheels was gone. The chrome fenders will need some work they have a million little pits. The tires were dry rotted beyond use.

5Ne5E65F83kd3L93N4c6o9e2f0f00bfa0148c.jpg

I picked up a 63 or 4 white girls bike. The rims and Kelly Explorer tires were of the proper patina, the head tube was the same size as the boys bike so, I had a good fork!! All though white with a chrome cover. I also used the crank from the girls bike.

IMG_0691.jpg

The frame had a fair amount of light rust. I read on here where some of you folks cleaned and clear coated the original patina, I thought hey! I can do this so… still suffering from fundsarelow. I headed off to the dollar store for a can of black and clear. They where Migual brand and two bucks a can. The wheels on the girls bike where pretty bent up. I had traded for 1898 wheel truing stand and with some time and the help of the late Sheldon Brown, I got them cleaned and trued. I sanded the frame with 600 and 1000 (going on memory here) I then sprayed any really nasty places that I sent a lot of time sanding on due to rust with the black paint. I then cleared the whole frame, yep the touch up black was still wet. Next I cleaned the fork masked off the bottom to the best of my abilities’ and shot the top black and cleared the whole thing. The same for the tank. Well I got looking at the white fenders and decided to use them at least until I get the chromes ones where I want them. The reflector on the white fenders was pretty big and the bike had those two yellow reflectors on the handle bars so I flipped them over and thought… Hey this Black and White looks pretty good for what she is.
IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

I need to find or recreate the head badge as close as possible any help would be greatly appreciated
IMG_0679.jpg

That really looks nice, good job. Ride the heck out of it. I have always liked those frames, they have a great look. Leo

Back