3 peice cranks..Q?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if there is a good answer for that question. Quite a few bikes had them as early as the 1890's. High end racing models usually always had them. I think most European bikes always had them. I'd guess American lightweights started to switch to 3 piece on in the 60's-80's. I'd say its probably not a great way to date a bike. Posting a picture and getting input from others may be an easier way to get a rough date on the bike.

id have to agree, the europeans have been using them since prewar (to say the least) and it didn't really catch on with american bikes till the 60's and 70's. i much rather deal with the conventional cotterless than the cotterpin style 3pc cranks, and nothing is more user friendly and servicable than a good 3pc crank, cottered or cotterless. about a month ago, i got a murray mountain bike that had a 1pc shell to 3pc conversion kit on it. now to figure out which cruiser to put it in.

Back