3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Lawn Mower Motor project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I've been trying to start a motor bike project for a few years now. I've finally gotten around to starting one! I got the motor from a friend. It was in rough condition and needed a lot of work. I still have no clue what bike I'm going to put this on but right now I'm working on modifying the vertical shaft motor into a horizontal shaft motor so I can use it on a bike.
I'm open to any ideas or criticisicm on any of my work. I'm still young and could use all the knowledge you smart people have to offer.

How it looked before I did anything
5dbe7841.jpg

Me working on cleaning it up
d77569dc.jpg

Cleaned it up a little and now it's time to start going through it.
12a92aeb.jpg

Really dirty on the inside, but it cleaned up easily
5faed412.jpg

e7613884.jpg

Modification #1 to make it a horizontal shaft motor. Create a custom oil flinger since. The original oil flinger was designed to get the oil on the bottom when it was laying down. If you stood up the motor the oil would drip to the bottom and remain stagnant, and the motor would overheat.
26c9d5db.jpg

I used some lightweight aluminum siding pieces
27e69d66.jpg

Trimmed it up a little so it'd fit
aabc8b95.jpg

Tested it out
a71ad173.jpg

Was too wide it was hitting some parts So I trimmed it up
019d91ba.jpg

Fit like a glove!!!
8f4dfad1.jpg

d973a974.jpg

See how it dips down enough to pick up the oil but doesn't touch the bottom. You want it as close as you can get it without having it hit anything.
f7b5cc20.jpg

My next plans are to rotate the gas tank and carb since a carboratour can only function while it's upright. After that I will replace all the gaskets because i don't really trust the ones it already has. Then I will start it up and see if it functions correctly. Once all the engine work is complete I will choose my bicycle and figure out ways to mount it. I will instal a type of clutch system so I can use the bikes original gears so it's more than a single speed. They're my plans do far.

Modification #2 I had to reroute the crank case ventilation tube.
This is how it fit originally
ce1a8399.jpg

But I had to rotate the carboratour and gas tank so that it could function properly. The only problem with that is that the ventilation tube hit the gas tank and wouldn't reach the carb.
ba0721a6.jpg

So I took off the tube, cut it down and attached it to some 1/4 in. flexible fuel line and clamped it to the pieces of the original tube.
ff191fcc.jpg

6cdcdfb9.jpg

d1c46769.jpg

9ed0b43a.jpg

b868ef2f.jpg

b1b76ceb.jpg

Put it on and found out the best way to route it
335a6a15.jpg

51a4d941.jpg

61eb5ffc.jpg

Now to put the blower casing or whatever it's called on with the rest of the parts to see if the hose would clear everything.
And it did!
483fc89d.jpg

aa73735b.jpg

2f046228.jpg

Gaskets came in today along with the gas tank!
e9f592e9.jpg

Now to assemble, put oil in, gas heMr up and test her out!!! Hopefully will be in complete working condition by the end of the weekend.

Thought it over and I wanted to put a sturdier so I made a new one out of a right angle brace of some sort.
b1dae94b.jpg

831e2b06.jpg

84591bbc.jpg

95709e40.jpg

Put it back together and painted it a matte black
0d85a24a.jpg

0f007f94.jpg

c275ef4c.jpg

5972165f.jpg

9cc421ae.jpg

Now I still need to get some oil and gas and see if she starts up. It has great compression and looks good. Still needs some things done to it.

Not using the Tyler bike. The motor wouldn't mount to it right. So I traded a friend for his old Next boy's mountain bike, there's now plenty of room to mount it.

I'm not really sure yet to tell you the truth. We'll have to wait and see. I thought about that too, but my options were use a heavier metal and Maybe throw off the crank balance or put light aluminum on and maybe it'll fold under the weight. I'm hoping that it withstands the weight.

How hot can fiberglass get before it gets damaged? But If this doesn't work I'll probably try a thiker piece of aluminum and if all else fails I'll go to steel.

Most of us build from a kit. You are not only doing a non-kit build, but your are converting a vertical shaft engine to a horiz shaft. I will follow your progress closely, as it seems like the used vertical shaft engines are more plentiful and less expensive (especially for v-twins).

Instead of using the rip cord to start the motor I want to make it like early automobiles and have it cranked with a wrench of some sort....would that work? I think it'd be awesome to do that!

as far as the oil slinger all you needed to do was pick up 1 for a 3.5 go-cart motor they bolt on the same at the bottom of the piston rod as far as the starting I saw 1 that started off the pedals like a kick startercheck out youtube I think it was called dixie flyer

Oh okay. I didn't know that if you bought one that it would work for this kind of motor. I'll look into buying a slinger if my make-shift one doesn't work. Thank you.

I plan to have the cylinder bored out and new high performance pistons put in by a friend of mine's father. He drag races and stuff so I have him if I need the help or if I have and questions :D

I'm sorry for not posting in ages. This project kind of got pushed back. I still need to buy a few parts and I'm trying to buy back this trike I sold to a kid I know. I want to put the motor on it!
CD04B2EB-DF45-476B-8B1E-5B00C287C6CA-26422-0000075818F6CB6D.jpg

Latest posts

Back