26" Typhoon turned Muscle Bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, i have seen the 20" typhoons turned into stingray clones, but i have a nice 69 green 26" typhoon and i was thinking that if i put a banana seat, sissy bars and some tall apes on it, it would be like an adult-sized stingray.

has anybody tried this?

i think it would be a cool project.....i am a tall guy too. i think it would fit me well.

Not yet, but I have done my homework! There are componants available to not only do this, but make it look exactly like a sting-ray only bigger!There are up-sized sissy-bars, bannana seats,42 tooth lucky seven sprokets, bigger apes, you name it dude its out there.The only thing that can never look correct is the wheelbase, wheels are a wee bit closer together on the sting-ray frame.I have actually started to fab an up-sized wheelie bar to use on my "Devil-Ray". Its going to be on hold awhile though, need to get hooked up with employment again! :cry: Later& PEACE!!!!

yeah i ordered a 48" sissy bar and a sparkle green banana seat.
my sprocket is a mag sprocket, so i think it will look cool too.
gotta grap some big apes!
word. A

Yeah, I remember a bike called the "King Krate" that a guy in Lorain built for his throwback bike shop "Flashbacks".
Had a price of $450 on in, was worth every penny. Even had a slick on the back of it. Man, that thing was SWEET!

i will start a build thread!

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! i was just thinking the very same question the other day cuz i have an older 26" cruiser that i wanna convert to a fastback with bannana seat and sissy bars. c'mon guys, the bannana seat should go down in the wonders of the bicycle hall of fame along with the sissy bars. especially homemade, slightly rusted custom twist sissy bars with a custom covered crushed velvet bannana seat. Mmmm... as i drool on my key board.

I had a Typhoon like that...in '68-'69. I had 3 different StingRays from '65-'68, then I got a paper route. The StingRay just didn't cut it for papers. I bought a neighbor kids bike that had just given up his paper route and had the bike all set up for papers. It was a 26" black Deluxe Typhoon. Chrome fenders and chrome S-7's with a yellow band 2-speed. It had a black bananna seat with silver sparkles which gave it a grey look from a distance. I've never seen a seat like that since. It had StingRay bars...we called them "angelbars" back then. Maybe Wald, not sure. It also had a front wire rack, I think it was Schwinn marked. We called them "mousetraps". I also had two "spinners" on the elbows of the bars. Spinners are the thing that clamps on a steering wheel and has a knob on it to assist turning. The spinners were on there so you could hang the strap of the paperbag over it. I don't think I have a pic of it unfortunately. HaHa! Shouldn't have told you all that...now I feel old. 8) B607

I built this one a year or so ago. It's one of my best riding bikes. The only problem is I bottom out the springer fork due to my weight, but other than that I love it.
attbikes135.jpg

This is whay it started as
6021edbe.jpg

There is a club in Portland called the Belligerantes. Basically they take Varsity's and put apes and banana seat on them and call them "Mega-Ray's". They've done some cruisers too, I think they all look cool!

It would be cool to do a Super-size Krate: 26" rear wheel and 20" front wheel with a drum brake. The 26" wheel springer would have to be about 4" over to keep the bottom bracket at the same height. It would help if the Apes were extra tall too to get the right proportions.

Here's one of mine, a sport Collegiate 5 speed in mock up state. I have a Krate Mag sprocket, chrome hockey stick guard from a Traveler, and some clean S-6 rims for it. I'll have to upgrade from the piece of wood sissy bar, and wrench the old stem out... My own full sized Manta Ray! I never felt the need to collect Sting Rays since I don't fit on one!
SUNP0011.jpg

Yeah buddy, you sure got the right frame style.Perhaps an after market up-sized seat and sissy bar combo would really help to complete the look! The Schwinn stick shifts would really look nice, but those little items seem to be priced like precious metal! :shock: Later & PEACE!!!

Back