26" to 24" question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked these bikes up in hopes to fix one up for my wife. They are both 26" bikes and wondering if i could change it over to a 24". A 26" bike is a little to tall for her and she wants something custom and i haven't had much luck finding an old 24" bike. The first thing im thinking about try is cut the seat post down and check the height first but i don't think that will be enough.

I have never used a bent springer fork and i wasnt sure if that will lower the bike at all (if i stay with a 26").
In the back tire i know ill have some extra room (going to a 24"). if its to noticeable maybe cut a section out to shorten the length?
Not sure about fenders also.
On the schwinn it has the skinner tire (not sure the size) is it ok to change to an 1.75" or will that throw things off?

I wanted to check first just so i dont end up wasting a frame because i didnt know what i was doing.
b4-1.jpg

b1-2.jpg

the dif in the hight between 24 and 26 is not that big a deal get some 24 inch wheels and some thick bricks...

You could try a lay-back seatpost too, which would get the seat a little closer to the ground but still allow good leg extension. Putting 24's in won't affect the geometry enough to make it handle wonky or anything, a bent springer with a skinny 27" and a fat 24" in back.

If I put my wife on a 26" bike with 24" wheels and one person laughed at her ride, I'd be in the dog house forever. If she's that short, she NEEDS a 24" bike. Put your nose to the pavement and find her one. :wink: Gary

Only thing you will have to surely do is get some cranks with shorter crank arms, if not they will hit if she catches it just right while turning. Other then that, shouldn't have any other problems changing it over.

If you don't work something out w/ outskirts let me know. I've got this one (minus wheels & tires at the moment) taking up space. Trade or cash as well and can help w/ delivery schedule permitting....

MeteorFliteBike-vi.jpg

Back