26' Schwinn S2 tire options?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided I would like to keep the original wheels on my 52 Panther and trying to figure out what my tire options are? Will the common tires like 26x2.125 quick bricks fit the S2 wheels? Right now it has mountain bike tires someone threw on there and there's so much conflicting info on this rim size on the web.

Last edited:
Yep, modern tires such as Thick Bricks will fit your S2 rims easily.
(just as the modern Mountain bike tires do)
The S7 is the oddball size rim with limited tire choices.
Choose the modern tire that you like and mount 'em up. There's a good bit of room under those fenders, so you could go a bit bigger (26X2.3etc.), but a 26X2.125 is a balloon tire standard.
Great bike by the way!

Yep, modern tires such as Thick Bricks will fit your S2 rims easily.
(just as the modern Mountain bike tires do)
The S7 is the oddball size rim with limited tire choices.
Choose the modern tire that you like and mount 'em up. There's a good bit of room under those fenders, so you could go a bit bigger (26X2.3etc.), but a 26X2.125 is a balloon tire standard.
Great bike by the way!
Thanks, that's extremely helpful info. Gonna order some tires today so I can get this old beauty ready for the Savannah bike ride next month!

You're welcome SR, glad I could help.
If you're in/near Savannah, maybe check in with RRB member Kingfish and he may be able to set you up with some cool tire options, advice and a sweet deal.

I'm thinking 26x2.2 continental retro ride blackwalls. Cant find a picture of them on a old cruiser though. Anyone know anything about them?

The 2.2 will help fill your fenders and the sidewall will have quite a round profile. They ride very smooth and have good grip. I have a set of cream 29s on my '41 CCM and I saw that Mazda Flyer used a set of cream 2.0s recently on a Corvette (middle weight) build, Tanksalot liked the set he had.(from forum search)
I couldn't find a black set under deep fenders like yours in my search, but these images may help.
I think the bigger 2.2s would serve you very well for size and style if they suit your aesthetic and budget.
BEWARE:
Tires can easily become a whole new addiction within the bike addiction itself.
Bare%20Bikes%20May%2023%20073_zpsumh5cph5.jpg
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/1960-schwinn-corvette-rebuild.86292/#post-849782
92877879351f8d0cd7df655e1dbcc2b5.jpg

I agree; something about tires, man, they just get under your skin....

The LBS by me, they use the Conti RetroRide as their go-to cruiser tire, often in cream, b/c they're a bit cheaper than Franks and they make a bit bigger margin on them, plus they're a bit skinnier and, thus, easier to cram into an old middleweight. I've never run them, but they look good and the shop owner swears by them.

Thanks, that's extremely helpful info. Gonna order some tires today so I can get this old beauty ready for the Savannah bike ride next month!

Are you riding in the Midnight Garden Ride? I'll be riding VerBoten. I didn't realize you were local.

[QUOngfish2I'm, post: 940893, member: 7362"]Are you riding in the Midnight Garde
Are you riding in the Midnight Garden Ride? I'll be riding VerBoten. I didn't realize you were local.
Yes! I say im going every year but it never works out. I'm trying to get done with two ratty cruisers to ride. My 52 panther and girlfriends 57 hollywood. I'm just worried about parking because apparently that's pirate fest weekend?

Got my tires and mounted them up! I like them a lot. Wasn't sure if I would like the reflective strip, but I must say, I love them. Today was the first day I actually rode the bike since I bought it. Should've gone through it and greased it first....six miles was tough!!! Felt like I was pulling a trailer!

Last edited:
Those RetroRides do look pretty great on your Panther!
The reflective strip gives it a bit of accent detail and is a nice safety feature for night rides. I'm glad they worked out for you.
A very slight downside is that they'll probably reflect like mad if you use a camera flash in dim light.

Tires look great on there. I just PM'ed you with contact info for the ride.

Those RetroRides do look pretty great on your Panther!
The reflective strip gives it a bit of accent detail and is a nice safety feature for night rides. I'm glad they worked out for you.
A very slight downside is that they'll probably reflect like mad if you use a camera flash in dim light.
I took several pics and you're right, with the flash on it looks like I got TRON wheels on there!

Latest posts

Back