26 inch mags (wheelchair wheels)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scanning the isles of my local swap meet with afew friends of mine today, was a good bike ride and it was good weather (overall good day if you dont count that Joseph's bmx bike got stolen even though it was locked up) and i saw what i have been looking for for afew years, plastic mags. well we know thay dont really exist like that so everyone else just calls them wheelchair wheels (potato pototo) asked how much and the guy said make him an offer "will two bucks and a Rockstar get them for me?" "what kind?" "lemonade" "theyre yours for the Rockstar" so i had a smile plastered on my face for the rest of the day. but now that theyre here im wondering, how am i supposed to get a sprocket on them? i thought about cutting a hub in half, corning out the centers and putting it back together, then i googlerd it and found someone on here who had done it successfully, so how have you guys added sprockets to these wheels? thanks!

I have the same dilemma. I asked and got no helpful answers, do I dropped the whole thing. Some day I'll get back on it. BTW I have the plastic mags also.

i think im going to have to go *gulp* fixies and just bolt sprocket straight to the rim :shock:

jwm said:
I just this moment realized I had a superstitious streak in me. Wheelchair wheels on a bike?
Sounds like VERY bad mojo.
no no no no no....

(but that's just me)

JWM
you know, im sitting in my room staring at these right now and the same sort of thought is going through my head. i know it will need new air tires because these solid rubbers just seem like they would flop. trying to thing of a way to strengthen them up :|

I hole sawed out from the center of the hub, and pressed in the coaster hub. In hindsight, I should have added some kind of adhesive, because it slips when peddling.

aefde58d-db2f-1ffe.jpg

papawrandy said:
Any way to drill and tap for set screws to prevent slippage on rear hub?

Ya, I would drill and tap them. 2 or 3 screws through the plastic to the steel.

If you can find these, buy them.
DSCN0081.jpg

DSCN0082.jpg

DSCN0084.jpg

Will they take clincher tires? I wouldnt want a tire coming off at speed!
If so, might be the thing for a big dia. wheel gravity bike (sans pedals.crank, etc.). I thought about making my old Schwinn Varsity into one, in kind of a boardtracker config., and see just how fast it would go on some of our nice hills.

Back